Rotarua and Elsewhere


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
February 4th 2011
Published: February 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello again everyone. Our legs are killing us from a 14 mile walk we have just completed, but perhaps I'll tell you about that some other time.
We arrived in Rotarua on the 1st and immediately booked an evening at a Maori village for a Hangi meal. This is where they cook the food in the ground on hot stones. Firstly they take you on a trip through their village and down to the river where a long boat comes in with Maori men on board. This was followed by a culture show detailing their customs, inheritance and the way they used to live. Although they were at pains to clarify that they eat at McDonalds and such like everyone else today. The meal followed, and whilst there was quite a variety of food the meats cooked in the ground were truly succulent. A great night I have to say.

The following day the 2nd, we set off early to the Wai-O-Tapu thermal wonderland. This is a site some 20 minutes or so outside Rotarua where you visit thermal pools and Geysers, the most spectactular of which is the Lady Knox Geyser which spouts at 10:30 or thereabouts each day.
Wai-O-TapuWai-O-TapuWai-O-Tapu

Champagne pool
The whole place is a volcanic landscape covered in steam and bubbling mud pools. Many of the pools bring up sulphur from below the earth and as you would imagine the air is rich with the stench of rotting eggs. The evening meal was spent having the most wonderful fish and chips in a pub back in Rotarua helped down with a couple of pints, and I have to say that I am already being particular about which brew I choose so I must be adjusting quite well.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Wai-O-TapuWai-O-Tapu
Wai-O-Tapu

Lady Knox Geyser
Wai-O-TapuWai-O-Tapu
Wai-O-Tapu

Champagne pool 2
Wai-)-TapuWai-)-Tapu
Wai-)-Tapu

Devils Couldron
Wai-O-TapuWai-O-Tapu
Wai-O-Tapu

Bubbling mud pools. Difficult to get Shirley away from these pools.


8th February 2011

I remember the smell well !!!!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb