Land of Kiwi's


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
February 11th 2008
Published: February 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Here we are sitting in Rotorua. It is south of Auckland.


http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/5373448619-1202720336-97235/53734 Double click on this link and see the pix. I couldn't believe I didnt' send a pix of the trophey last time.



We left Mexico on Monday. The weather was balmy. James and Karen drove to the airport which was a huge bonus. We were prepared to take the bus but they insisted. It was wonderful!!

We flew to LAX on Monday, spent the night and then flew to Sydney. I was absolutely dreading it but we both lived. We got on the plane, had a nice meal, popped a pill and I was gone for 5 hours and Larry about 7 hours. By the time I had a sleep, watched 2 videos it was time for breakfast and time to land.

We took the train to our Youth Hostel in Sydney. Wow, this is definitely not Mexico. Cost us $30 AUD ($25C) for about a 20 minute train ride. A short walk to our Youth Hostel which we were pleasantly surprised with. It was centrally located, spotlessly clean and quiet at night. Lots of young people around during the day but they must have had hall monitors because at night they were gone and not much noise at all. The youth hostel was $80 C so you can imagine how much a real hotel would be. We were quite exhausted but managed to stay up for a while. Went for a walk and crashed at 5:30PM and slept until about 6AM the next day. Wow!!

The next day Rick and Jan Pullen, 1 of our 5 weeks of Home exchange came to our hostel and picked us up, toured us around and then back to their place for lunch. They live in a beautiful 3 bedroom condo a little ways out of Sydney. They drove us about 2 minutes down the road to board the Rivercat for about a 30 minute ride back to Sydney Circular Quay. It was a wonderful day. The river ride was just great and I know we will use this mode of transportation when we stay there for 1 week March 10th. They are lovely people. They stay at our place from April 20 - 29th. I know they would love some Canadian hospitality if any one feels like it. They have travelled the whole and have a ton of stories.

Today we left Dave and Deb's and travelled down to Rotorua. It is a very touristy place but lots of fun. We went off to visit the Geothermal pools. It was basically boiling black mud. Very smelly and very hot. There actually was spa treatments if you wanted. I saw some women who were having spa treatments and they were a green colour from the mud bath they had just paid $230NZ for.

This evening we went to a Mauori Cultural Centre. It was interesting to see the dances, hear the songs and eat the food. Some pretty wild eyes bugged out and tongues stuck out. Their theory was that if the men greeted men guests and could intimidate them with their angry faces they might stay away from their women. They were pretty scary. The bus ride out to the event and back was just about as much fun as the event. Tomorrow we will go off to see people shearing sheep and sheep dogs working with the sheep. Then its off to Hastings and we get ready for our next set of adventures.

So far so good. Larry had a crack at driving today. Bonnie navigated making sure he stayed on the left side of the road. It is very warm and humid here and we are all just dripping. Of course, when you travel budget a/c is non existent.

I have sent pictures a different way this time. I didn't think the quality of the pix was great so double click on this link and see if these are better.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/5373448619-1202720336-97235/53734

Nancy and Larry

Ross and Bonnie met us at Auckland airport, drove us in our Jucy van (the lime green van) on the wrong side of the road to our Auckland hostel. It was not quite as great as our Sydney experience but OK. We left Auckland the next morning and after some paper work so Larry could drive the van we took off for parts down under. Spent last night in Mount Maunganui with people we met last year in LaPenita, Mexico. They were touring Mexico for 1 year in a tent and a mini van. Very adventuous people. It was just great. We just phoned them in the afternoon and appeared a few hours later and they welcomed us with open arms. We went out for dinner and then spent the night on lovely fat airbeds on the floor. It really was super.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb