9 Bikes Shipped to High Andes 2013


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
January 25th 2013
Published: January 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Deck LoadingDeck LoadingDeck Loading

Howard's DR heading to Auckland with Rosco
Planning is well under way for our 2013 High Andes Adventure, with 9 bikes snuggled into the container and safely past the Astrolobe Reef, on their way to Valparaiso, Chile.

This adventure started off a bit slow to get rider commitment, but, with only four days before closing the container, I got an urgent call from Jack, who had just been on an adventure ride down South, and he really wanted to come. He worked frantically to sort all the paperwork in one day that some of the others still have not completed!!

For this High Andes adventure we have:

Radar (Gavin Campbell) from Auckland, riding a KLR (ex Mike Vinsen fame, its already done the High Andes and the Patagonia Expedition).

Barry Sproule from Road and Sport Harley Davidson in Hamilton, he is riding a Suzuki DR 650, kindly loaned to him by Keith Larkin of Whites Wholesale in Hamilton.

Also from Auckland we have Terry Jacobson, on his brand new Triumph XC 800 - it will be interesting to see how this new model shapes up.

From Palmerston North, we have Don Mardle, riding his trusty DR650.

We have Tiny (Peter) Campbell,
In ConvoyIn ConvoyIn Convoy

Heading for Mondiale, from Radar's with bikes on board.
who came with us in 2010, but now riding a new KTM 990, which he managed to completely drown, while down on the South Island ride, a week before shipping - talk about create a panic!!

Along with him, is his other brother Scratch (Bryan) also from down the Naki, and was on the Sth Island adventure ride also, riding his 1200GS.

From Raetahi, we have Stray (Ray) Berry, who only made the comitment as a New Year Resolution ?, and a bit of a push from his wife Cath...and the fact that he found a KLR in Tauranga, some boots, helmet and gloves from String at Darbi...suddenly it was 'Game on' for him.

From up North in Whangarei, we have Howard Clement, he is a buddy of Radar's and we met up with him at the Burt Munro Rally in November - he was keen to come with us, but was struggling to get leave for 44 days, eventually the clearance came through on Christmas Eve, so it was now a bit frantic for him to get sorted on his Suzuki DR 650. He got a buddy to fit a larger tank, from a Tenere, it
Morning Exercise...Morning Exercise...Morning Exercise...

Scratch doing his weight training....
sure looks the part and will give him the extra mileage as he has also fitted an auxillary tank where the pannier would sit. It will pay to stay close to Howard on those long days between fuel stops....

Then out of Putaruru, came an urgent call from Jack Scheres, having just returned from the South Island ride, he wil be riding his freshly serviced BMW 650GS.

We have Rodrigo and Gerardo joining us from Chile, Gerardo will be riding his trusty BMW Dakar and Rodrigo will be riding a Suzuki 650 VStrom. Rodrigo, is the owner of the company that rents us our Chase Truck, and I not sure that he should see what we do with his truck???

So, as you can see, we have Team Kawasaki (2) team Suzuki (4) Team BMW (3) Solo KTM and Solo Triumph.

This year we are expanding the ride through new territories for us, that we checked out last year in the 2CV's, plus a couple of new sections of unknown terrain. We have a great adventurous group of riders, keen to explore some alternative routes....

Before we even start, Gerardo informs me that the Paso
JackJackJack

Ready to go!!
Redentor, that we would normally take on our first day into Argentina, will be closed during the day!! There is not an option to do this pass in the dark, so we are busy re planning the first few days.....

I will do my best to keep the blog up to date as we go and would hope that I get some contribution from some of the adventurers along the way.

Hasta Luego, Rosco


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

BarryBarry
Barry

All sorted and ready to go..
TinyTiny
Tiny

Born Ready!!
Harley FloatHarley Float
Harley Float

All busy with the little stuff.
Dear God....Dear God....
Dear God....

What have I let my self in for....
Terry Terry
Terry

Didn't want to leave his new Triumph.


26th January 2013

Have a Good One
Have a great trip. Watch out for Llamas & Alpacas! Enjoy the Pisco Sours
26th January 2013

I am sure we will
Thanks for the good wishes Mike, will be strange for you seeing the old KLR in familiar territory, maybe Radar just has to sit on it!! ..... Cheers, Rosco
26th January 2013

KLR
Rosco, Remember that KLR that Radar has only did the Patagonian trip (had an earlier Model for the High Andes) You need to warn Radar that it may keep trying to turn right & head South!
26th January 2013

Your trip
Lucky Bar Stewards! Enjoy the trip! I will be watching the blog all the way.... Pete Mulhare Whangarei
28th January 2013

the nine bikes
All the best for your trip to the Andes I will be watching with interest. A good test for the variety of bikes.
29th January 2013

A real good test
Thanks again for your good wishes Stan.
27th February 2013

So Jealous!!
Good luck guys, what great times you've got ahead of you. Take care of each other.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb