DAY 23 NGONGOTAHA


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Ngongotaha
February 23rd 2023
Published: February 23rd 2023
Edit Blog Post


The scene from last evening/night ... looked ominous ... just as the forecast mentioned ...
As intimated in the previous post we did decide to stay on this terrific site. Our decision was reinforced by the truly magnificent scene we had woken to … not by the scene of late last evening when the storm clouds had begun to gather. The sky was clear, the sun was bright, the lake was in various hues of blue and the swans and ducks were in abundance. Why leave such beauty?

Make the cuppa … healthy breakfast sitting in our chairs beside the lake … small birds at our feet … a very gentle breeze … yes, full of gratitude for being able to enjoy …

A 2km walk into the village to explore and note the beauty of the place as well as the customary café visit. The village is adorned on either side of the main street and side streets with flowering hanging baskets. The weather did turn as cloud blotted the sun’s rays and a little drizzle was experienced. It cooled considerably due to the breeze picking up. Loved it. The afternoon was spent with the van door open, listening to the lakes waters hitting the embankment, watching the birdlife, doing crosswords, reading and

... however ... open the sliding door ... we awoke to this ...
drinking a little wine. By mid afternoon the drizzle had increased to solid rain. All good.

The “Mitai Maori Cultural Experience & Dinner” at Fairy Springs, not many kilometres from our camp site, was very good. We visited a traditional Maori village where we learnt more about Maori customs and rituals, saw the uplifting of the traditional earth-cooked hangi as well as watching a Maori performance ending with a formidable haka war dance. We watched warriors in traditional dress paddle an ancient warrior canoe down the Wai-o-whiro stream, participated in the bush walk and got to see glow worms and view the sacred Fairy Spring. We feasted on a hot selection of succulent meats and poultry, vegetables and fresh salads, topped off with tempting desserts. A great way to end our stay in Ngongotaha.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



"How good is this?"


Inside, make the lady happy ... cuppa ...


The sun is bright ... the scene is, "can you believe this?"


Just sit up, cuppa in hand, and take in the view.


Into the village ... hanging baskets of flowers are the total length of the street, both sides ... and side streets.


Hey! You make the call.


Walking the village.


Relaxing in the village.


Street corner adorned with hanging baskets.



A reminder to us all.


Our placemat


Warriors paddling upstream.



Hangi


The result


Maori performers ready for the 'show'.



The chief ... great humour.






Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb