DAY 24 NGONGOTAHA to WHAKAPAPA VILLAGE in Tongariro National Park


Advertisement
Published: February 24th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Made it to the top to enjoy the view over the Waikato River.
As we set off we were mentally prepared for an overcast rain filled day. However, as we slowly winded our way south the skies cleared and the rain ceased. The higher we went the stronger and colder became the wind.

We followed the undulating highway 30 through scenic cattle filled lush countryside. From just before Atiamuri we drove high above the mighty Waikato River stopping where we were able to take a few photos and to walk some of the trails, one which included numerous stairs beside the highway which we climbed to be rewarded by sensational views. Through the Hydro village of Whakamaru and onto highway 32 keeping Lake Taupo to the east of us.

Highways 47 and 48 took us into the Tongariro National Park, a place at high altitude, barren landscape and cold.

We reached Chateau Tongariro at Whakapapa Village and found it to be closed, not that we were going to be staying there. It is a majestic building. The visitors centre is very impressive … one of the best we have ever encountered. Detailed audio-visual information on the numerous walk trails and of the area. We spent a good deal of time here

Climb and be rewarded
learning heaps. As free camping is not allowed in the NP we booked a site at the village park in a secluded position … cosy as … just surrounded by forest … a sausage and mash potato dinner for this cold night.

With time on our hands we climbed higher up the mountainside, by vehicle, to Iwikau Village at the base of the mighty Mt Ruapehu at 2 797m asl. The volcanic, barren landscape was swept by a wind so strong that I found it very difficult to keep my feet of close the motor home door. At times we thought the van was going to be pushed over. The wind chill had the temperature below zero. I was pleased to descend to our cosy camping spot to unwind.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Our coffee and choccy bikkie stop. Rewarded again with a wonderful view.


Lake Taupo in the background.


Opotaka ... site of Maori kainga (village) occupied in the 1800's. This was off the beaten track ... lunched here.


View from Opotaka.


Chateau Tongariro at Whakapapa Village, close to the ski fields.


On the way to Iwikau Village ... windswept ... cold.


Still going up ... barren ...


Ferocious and cold wind at this place as we approached Iwikau Village.


Accommodation for the skiing season. Note the volcanic rock and the stairs to the house.


More accommodation for the ski season.


Lower reaches of Whakapapanui Stream. It was flowing fast.


Secluded. Cosy. Totally quiet.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb