DAY 22 MT MAUNGANUI to NGONGOTAHA


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Ngongotaha
February 22nd 2023
Published: February 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post


Irish Galloway cows.
After a confusing start due to road works and road closures we finally freed ourselves from the metropolis of Maunganui-Tauranga and hit the countryside roads but not before we fell victim to a Toll Road due to road closures before the Toll. Deliberate I’d say!

We followed the long Kohioawa Beach to our first stop, Matata where we had a coffee and shared half a muffin each and enjoyed the small community. Our NZ neighbour back in Perth, Ron Hardie, is from Kawerau and as that was not many kays from Matata we headed there. It is home to the Tasman Pulp Paper Mill. We watched some of the action from the side of the road. Our biggest surprise while exploring Kawerau was coming across the huge Ron Hardie Recreation Centre named after our neighbours Dad. We phoned Ron jnr from his home town.

The route from Kawerau to Tikitere along road 30 would have to be one of the best drives we have experienced while in NZ. Lake Rotoma, Reloetu, Rotoiti were on our right as we headed west with steep cliffs adorned with vegetation ranging from creepers to tall, thick forest and small villages were on our

Mt Putauaki (Mt Edgecumbe)
left. We stopped at a few as the kilometres between each were few. We lunched on the shores of Lake Rotoma.

We stopped at Te Puna Whakareia Marae and walked the extremely well-kept grounds. The building (residence), was named, Uenuku-mai-Rarotonga who was a great grandson of Tama Te Kapua, captain of the Arawa canoe, a grandson of Kahumatamomoe and the father of Rangitihi. The things one learns from travelling!

Following the road north along the banks of Lake Rotorua we came across a beautiful little town called Ngongotaha and decided to camp right on the bank of the lake. A swan greeted us immediately. It is so peaceful that we will probably stay put tomorrow too and just go explore the village. A swim is definitely on the agenda.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tasman Pulp Paper Mill.


Rapid load of logs for pulping.


The pulping is happening.


Ron Hardie Recreational Centre, Kawerau.


Feeding time.


More, please.


Adorns a road in Kawerau.


Lunchtime phone call from youngest son, Sam.


Phone call finished, wine and a bite to eat time.


Approaching ....


The building is named: Uenuku-Mai-Rarotonga and dated 30 October 1926.


Beautifully kept.


From the North shore of Lake Rotorua.


Our camping spot.


Chairs are out ready to relax with a wine ... the swan greets us.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb