GPS Rules!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Hahei
October 12th 2007
Published: October 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tested out the GPS again for our drive to the Coromandel, not that it's much of a challenge for it - one road most of the way, but still, have to play with the new toy...

Set off from the campsite at Orere at about noon and drove to Thames, the main town for the Coromandel Peninsular, a former gold-mining town named by Captain Cook after a nearby river. Went into 'Dick Smith's', the NZ equivalent of 'Dixon's', to have a look for a small flat-screen TV to put in the van (more gadgets), but they only had big ones. Stocked up on groceries at the 'Pak-n-Save' supermarket and set off again across the Coromandel Range to Hahei, on the east coast.

Pitched the van at Hahei Holiday Resort; our pitch is a stone's throw away from the villa we stayed in when we got married here! Had a walk along Hahei beach in the evening; just around the headland is Cathedral Cove (where we got married). It was too late in the evening to do the trail across the headland down to the Cove.

Getting used to the van now, it's workings and space. It takes buckets of patience to share such a confined space, a lesson we're both learning fast. No major rows, yet; 6 months to go.... :-)

It's interesting to watch other campers though - a German family in the pitch next to us (2 parents and their young teenage boy) cooking, eating and sleeping in a tiny Toyota Hiace. You'd at least go and use the kitchen to cook and eat if you've got such a limited space, but no, mum's stooped over the sink, peeling the veg whilst dad's leaning over her pouring the drinks, and the son's sat squashed up on the bench seat, waiting for this tea...

And, of course, their towels were first on the shared washing line by 6 in the morning!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Monkey BoyMonkey Boy
Monkey Boy

Hey, Dom!
Tree SwingTree Swing
Tree Swing

'Spiderpig, Spiderpig, does whatever a Spiderpig does...'
Crocs n SocksCrocs n Socks
Crocs n Socks

Anything to stop those pesky sandflies biting my feet...


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb