Coromandel Peninsula


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel
January 27th 2007
Published: January 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So here I am just taking it easy at Brisbane airport waiting for my connecting flight to Singapore and starting my journey back home. Pretty sad to be leaving NZ but will be back someday and having started reading about Singapore, am really looking forward to spending 4 days over there in tropical heat, approaching 30 degrees, before going back to the cold reality of UK, roll on spring.....

The last few days in NZ, we spent just taking it easy on the Coromandel Peninsula, a couple of hours from Auckland with some of the best climate in NZ. The first day we spent in Waihi famous for its goldmine, went to the Karanghake Gorge and had a leisurely walk around (esp after the Tongariro Crossing exertions), and then had an afternoon stroll and snooze on Waihi Beach.

A couple of days in Whitianga followed with trips out to Cathedral Cove, a stunning beach, and to Hot Water Beach - which was quite a surreal experience. For a couple of hours either side of low tide its packed with people digging littles holes to have their own little spa, filled by hot water heated up by geothermal activity under the sand. And contrary to my prediction that it might be an oversell, it really is seriously hot water - a few feet from the surf and the cold sea, in the real hot spots you can't actually stand because the water starts burning you. Have to mention an awesome Indian meal we had in Whitianga - Sangam, although the Indian food generally in NZ has been ok rather than good.

Also ended up doing a beach crawl taking in Hahei, Cook's and Whangamata beaches and had a snorkel around Gemstone Bay nr Cathedral Cove, doing a bit of shopping and having ice creams. One evening we went back to Waihi for a poker tournament held in a pub. Came first out of an entry of a mixed rabble of 15. Results have been mixed tho generally, did alright in Queenstown but bombed in Auckland.

After a relaxing few days on the Peninsula it was back to Auckland for my last night before starting my journey back home. Spent a bit of time at the Auckland Musuem, which was actually pretty interesting before heading out for dinner and the casino as mentioned above. Got in late, before getting up at 4am for my flight out of NZ..... :-(

p.s. I've managed to find my bungy pictures and put them in the Queenstown entry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb