Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
January 31st 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

What a place! After the peace of New Zealand, it was quite an assault on the senses arriving in Singapore. One of the things a guide in NZ said was that Singapore has more people than NZ living on an island that could fit in the space of Lake Taupo in NZ. From the hordes of the Singaporean yoof getting on the MRT (underground train) to the first walk around Little India (where I was staying), it was just masses of people, sights, sounds and smells!

After checking in to my hotel and taking a break for a while, I managed to drag myself out for a walk around Little India and some dinner. THe buzz about the place just had me grinning while I walked around. Walked to the Mustafa Centre, a 24/7 shopping mall, with 5 floors, each rammed with about twice as much stuff as you would expect to see in any UK store. Markets still busy, shops open, cafes/restaurants still serving food all abuzz with adults, kids, everyone, and this at about midnight.

So the next 4 days I just took a wander round Singapore. Chinatown was even busier and more chaotic than Little India, although with about 80% of the population Chinese it did seem a bit strange having a Chinatown, but it seems like the vast majority of Chinese shops, eateries in Singapore are packed into this area.

Managed to pack a huge amount in, but the highlights were Little India, Chinatown, Arab Quarter, the CBD, Hawker Centres (lots of food stalls selling authentic Chinese, Indian, Malay food in a food court style set up), the huge variety and quality of food, Singpore Sling at Raffles Hotel, tea - authentic Chinese style, Sentosa Island, Singapore Zoo (yes the zoo - very good!), the variety of cultures there with temples (Hindu, Chinese, Muslim) dotted around the place and often right next to each other and did I mention the food.....? Sad to leave because I could easily have filled up another couple of days with things to see and do although I think I did have one more day than I should have had!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Thian Hock Keng  TempleThian Hock Keng  Temple
Thian Hock Keng Temple

stunning inside
Veg dinner, Little IndiaVeg dinner, Little India
Veg dinner, Little India

served on a banana leaf
BMW Art CarsBMW Art Cars
BMW Art Cars

random display in Singapore. the one on the right is by Andy Warhol
Afternoon tea,  Chinese styleAfternoon tea,  Chinese style
Afternoon tea, Chinese style

a whole ceremony around this, takes 10 mins before you can have your first cup and thats that little one you can see on the tray!
Not a girls drink.....Not a girls drink.....
Not a girls drink.....

Singapore Sling at Raffles. had a Tiger beer soon afterwards...
White TigerWhite Tiger
White Tiger

Singapore Zoo
Feeling the heatFeeling the heat
Feeling the heat

Singapore Zoo


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb