Auckland - 28/12/12 to 3/1/13


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 14th 2013
Published: January 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We spent the first six days of our adventure in Auckland, including New Years Eve. We spent it with John and Andrea (Annie's brother and his wife) who were on holiday there too from Perth. Andrea is originally from New Zealand and her family still live in Auckland.

The Waldorf serviced apartments were in a great location in the city centre near the famous Queens Street and the ferry terminal. The apartment came with a fully equipped kitchen, seperate bathroom and seperate bedroom with a balcony overlooking the city. Amazing value too!

News Years eve in Auckland was always going to be special and we caught a ferry early that morning to Waiheke Island which is about 45mins away from downtown Auckland. It is a beautiful, traditional little Island with olde world bungalows and a peaceful atmosphere. We had great weather and spent time on the beach and wine tasting!

That evening we returned to the apartment and then met up with John and Andrea and her family at a restaurant in the viaduct harbour area of central Auckland. The fireworks at midnight from the sky tower were impressive.

On New Years day we went for a
New Years EveNew Years EveNew Years Eve

New Years Eve in Auckland, waiting for the fireworks!
picnic on Piha beach with Andrea's family.. very strange feeling in the hot sun on a beautiful surfers beach on New Years Day. The beach is unusual because of the black sand caused by a high iron content.

The next few days were spent around Auckland and visits to local beaches, Devonport and walking around Auckland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

MidnightMidnight
Midnight

Midnight and the fireworks display starts.
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

The view across the bay from Devonport to Auckland.
Auckland CityAuckland City
Auckland City

The view back from the ferry.
Albert Park.Albert Park.
Albert Park.

A lovely park next to our apartment.
Ferry from AucklandFerry from Auckland
Ferry from Auckland

The ferry out of Auckland to Waiheke.
Waiheke IslandWaiheke Island
Waiheke Island

Coffee on Waiheke with John and Andrea.
Waiheke IslandWaiheke Island
Waiheke Island

'Tramping' around Waiheke!
Piha BeachPiha Beach
Piha Beach

New Years Day.
Piha BeachPiha Beach
Piha Beach

All black 'T' shirt on the all black sand!


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb