A couple of lazy bloggers.


Advertisement
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
April 27th 2006
Published: April 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

'Oh the rain falls hard, on a humdrum town, this town has dragged you down...' Actually Auckland isn't that bad, but the weather has been a bit rotten during our stay and heavy rain always makes a place seem fairly grimbo. Here, come to think of it, this is the second blog in a row in which we've borrowed words of wisdom from a Smiths song. Good lord, isn't Morrissey simply wonderful. I coul... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

...this is the person half way down....this is the person half way down.
...this is the person half way down.

The jump lasts about 15 seconds.
Alan on Queen Street, which is the main shopping street in Auckland.Alan on Queen Street, which is the main shopping street in Auckland.
Alan on Queen Street, which is the main shopping street in Auckland.

Its a bit like Argyle Street in good ole Glesgy.
Albert ParkAlbert Park
Albert Park

There was a graduation day taking place when we snapped this. The city was full of folks dressed up in their robes. Alan said it was like being in the middle of a Hogwarts class reunion.
A church A church
A church

We don't know what church it is, but we quite liked it.
And we liked this building aswell -  but we know what this one is....And we liked this building aswell -  but we know what this one is....
And we liked this building aswell - but we know what this one is....

....it's the Northern Club. Mabey its a club where people sit around smoking faaaags and eating pasties and saying things like 'way eye' etc..?
Chinotto drink.Chinotto drink.
Chinotto drink.

NZ has the best selection of these San Pellegrino drinks ever. Never before have we seen a fruit called Chinotto. It was meant to be a citrus fruit, but actually tasted a bit like Jack Daniels and Coke.



27th April 2006

Fruits of the forest
My oracular powers (google) tell me that a chinotto is not, in fact, a facial feature from a Simpsons character (arf), but in fact: "a small bitter citrus fruit from the chinotto, or "myrtle-leaved orange" tree (Citrus aurantium var. myrtifolia). The tree grows to a height of 3m and can be found in Liguria, Tuscany, Sicily and Calabria regions of Italy. The chinotto is an essential flavor component of most italian bitter amari digestifs, and of the popular Campari liqueur." Campari and soda. How sophisticated. Mind Leonard Rossiter used to advertise it in the 70's? "A soft drink by the same name (Chinotto) is produced from the juice from the chinotto fruit and herb extracts. It appearance is similar to that of Coca-Cola. It is said to taste similar to naturally flavoured cola or Campari, with a distinctive bitterness. Chinotto soda dates back to the 1950s, and is produced locally in Italy by different small producers. It is predominantly consumed in Italy and Malta, but recently San Pellegrino, the carbonated water company, has started mass production and export in collaboration with Nestlé, with the brand name "Chinò"." So, its liquid Chinos! there you go- Al, btw, good to see that you have returned to the righteous path, my son, and are bearded up again. Too much flesh on the chin- well, you can have too much of a good thing, eh?
28th April 2006

No Dumb...
right Shaz, joke over, get the irish jig aff. Was in one of your other fav places for Easter - sunny Roma, Lu loved it, part from the walking. Partook in a bit of food of course, licking lips as typing
29th April 2006

Smiffs quiz
'each household appliance is like a new science in my town'?
29th April 2006

Nowhere Fast - Meat is Murder
Swaino - 'I felt such a natural emotion' at your double blog comment that I 'nearly jumped in the ocean'. Here's yours:' good times for a change, see the life I've had can make a good man turn bad'.
30th April 2006

Re Gaz:fruits of forrest
You should have done your research better Gaz. Loenard Rossiter advertised Cinzano, not Campari.

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 29; qc: 102; dbt: 0.1431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb