Auckland Brewery tour!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
February 11th 2006
Published: February 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A micro-brewery!A micro-brewery!A micro-brewery!

This is not the one we slept above...
OK, I got the keyboard back now! (Well basically Amy is still working, but due to admin type stuff I isn't) So a little tale about two breweries...

We drove down to Auckland in the car and stopped in a little restraunt district where we enjoyed some tapas for lunch. I had managed to book us into a city centre hotel called the Shakespear brewery + hotel. Yes, we slept above a micro-brewery. the same one we visited briefly on our first trip to Auckland over a month ago!

We journied out to the Galbreiths brewpub first, about a 15 min bus ride from city centre. They brew the closest stuff to real ale as you can get out here, and it was great to finally get some! All the beer out here is keg (i.e. served like john smiths, fosters etc), so it was a amazing to find somewhere that had real hand pumps! After trying all their hand-pumps we sampled a couple of their lagers, which were nice, especially the vienna one which is brewed with vienna malt! (I'll stop now cause I'm starting to sound like I have no life.)

Back to the Shakespear for
The outside of the brew pub.The outside of the brew pub.The outside of the brew pub.

Clue's in the title...
a change of clothes and a pint of their ale + food. I had a rather strong dark one that tasted of cadburys caramel. Then it was off to explore Sky City, they have a casino, and before I knew it I was sitting at a Blackjack table. Fortunatly all the late evenings spent perfecting our basic stratagy have paid off. I played for 45 mins, earning 18 points on my players club card (I only need 227 more to get a Sky City beanie!) and still had even money, so I walked away (the dealer was a muppet and was starting to annoy me.
All I can say is bring on Vegas!!!

Then drove home next day after lunch down on the harbour front.

It's hard to believe that the time in NZ is nearly up. We fly to LA on Friday night, arriving 9 hours before we left. How time flies...

Hope your're all well, will try and put more photos on soon!

xxx
Rob


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Rob being fatRob being fat
Rob being fat

Honestly, this is a really bad picture, my tit's aren't that big.
Amy in AucklandAmy in Auckland
Amy in Auckland

It's about the only place in New Zealand that has buildings over 10 stories. Bit spread out for my liking tho.
Mental RobMental Rob
Mental Rob

Rob's doing an impression of the Blackjack dealers in the casino, yes they really do look like this...


14th February 2006

A Jimmy Carter stroke Tears 4 Fears type a thang!
Its a realy good blog guys, realy enlivening and invigorating and so on and so forth. Spiffing, well done and hurrah hurrah. Meanwhile back in the land of dark - a planner meet 4 a certain beer festival is about to proceed, well in a few hours anyway. U seen the posters I take it. [I believe in a democratic union! I believe in the unilateral parliamentary negotiation process. I believe in a united Ireland. I believe in lurve! Aye, so I do.]

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb