Goodbye Down Under Hello Groundhog Day


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 24th 2008
Published: January 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So today is our last day Down Under!!! I am currently sitting in an internet cafe writing this. We are still in Whangamata and are about to leave in a bit to make our way back to Auckland to catch the plane to San Fran. We had a late check out this morning and again made the most of it and after showers and some expert packing we checked out. Breakfast in a local deli which was very naughty but very nice!!!! We are both very sad about leaving the Southern Hemisphere and have had an amazing time - we thought that we would only come once but we are so full of ...'what we will do next time' I can not see this being a 'ONCE in a lifetime trip!!!' We really have done everything that we have wanted too and have loads of tips for all of you that are going to make the journey yourselves.
It is quite weird though as we take off for SF tonight at 19.30 but arrive today two hours before I started to write this - so work that out!!!!! It does mean though that the rest of this entry will be all about our first day in the States!!!!!!!!!! So see you in a bit after we have crossed the time zones!

Here we are in San Fran, still the same day and we have gone back in time! The flight was awful, cramped sseats and as we had been given seats on the back row they did not decline properly! Give it its due though the 11 hours went quickly and touch down was smooth and early. Through immigration and onto the shuttle and we were nearly there. The weather was overcast and cold but bright. We got to the hotel at 12.30 and were told that our room would not be ready till 3!!!! Bearing in in mind we had not slept and were used to warmer climbs this was not good news. We braved the outside and found a bookshop, then Starbucks where we looked at the book, then the Apple Store (didn't take long!) By this time it was raining and we were very tired, tried our luck at the hotel to see if our room was ready and thank goodness it was. Good room, small but perfectly formed, tried not to sleep but rested until we were hungry. Braved the rain and went to a local pizzaria, at this polint it was only 7 and we could not go to bed that early so we found a cinema that happened to have an IMAX and watched I am Legend which was brilliant. Walked back through a deserted city and then fell exhausted into bed.

Advertisement



24th January 2008

Ahhhhhhh!!
Welcome to San Fran - as you say, is it Thursday or Friday and exactly how many days and nights do we have here?? We are so pleased that it really has been 'the trip of a lifetime' - although it seems you may have another 'lifetime!!' Can't wait to hear all about it and see more of the amazing pictures although no doubt you will only manage work and sleep - hopefully on separate occasions - for quite a few days when you return! Love you both xxx
26th January 2008

wow!
Just a quick note to say congratulations firstly to you Claire - you're def the best woman for the job - i knew you'd do it! And secondly on this fantastic blog - it's really made my lunch times at work more interesting!! It looks like you've had an amazing time - i'm so jealous - can't believe it's gone so quickly - can't wait to catch up when you get back!! xxx

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb