French Polynesia after Hours


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia
December 26th 2014
Published: December 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

French Polynesia is famous for a lot of things – natural wonders, luxurious resorts, honeymooning, among other things – but a booming party scene is definitely one of the items on the list. That is not to say that the islanders don’t know how to party – just that French Polynesia as a tourist destination was primarily designed as a romantic getaway and a honeymoon paradise – meaning plenty of daytime activities, and then the night belongs to lovers.

However, French Polynesia is not exclusively a honeymoon destination, and many different types of people visit the islands every year. Some of them are bound to be looking for a good time when the sun sets, and certain corners of the archipelago offer a variety of options.

While certain islands of French Polynesia have no nightlife to speak of (or, should we say, no establishments aiming to draw large crowds in the late hours), the more frequented ones are showing signs of nightlife more and more. Three islands stand out among the total of 118: Moorea, Bora Bora and Tahiti. In the following lines we will check them out individually.

Moorea

Eternally in the shadow of its more popular neighbors of Bora Bora and Tahiti, Moorea is yet to get its first night club, yet it has its own special assets. Tiki Village is the first thing that comes to mind – a replica of a traditional Tahitian village where the islands most talented musicians and most hot blooded dancers put on spectacular shows four times a week, complete with fire dances and traditional Polynesian cuisine. Similar – if not as extravagant –entertainment can be found once weekly in most upper scale resorts on the island. On the other hand, unless you manage to endear yourself to fun loving locals, your only option for a drink after 11 o’clock will be the resort bar.

Bora Bora

Unlike Moorea, Bora Bora actually does have a night club, albeit just one. “La Recife” is a small night club that doesn’t even open before 11 PM. It is not that much of a tourist spot, since most guests are locals, which means that some of you will be discouraged from visiting out of fear for your safety. While it is not a bad idea to try and go there with somebody who knows their way around, it is still a fairly friendly place always packed with people looking for a good time. Outside of “La Recife” all the other establishments offer a more laid back or romantic experience. Locally themed Polynesian nights are held in Bora Bora resorts like the Intercontinental, or you can choose one of the bars and restaurants on the waterfront for some fine dining and a drink or two.

Tahiti

The biggest town of the archipelago also boasts the most vibrant nightlife. Papeete, the capital of French Polynesia, has a variety of establishments to suit many tastes, from hole in the wall bars to upscale discos where many locals are forbidden entry, all the way to cross gender discotheques. If you look like a tourist you will be allowed to enter most exclusive bars and clubs, although they are all pretty pricey. In any case, regardless of your preference of late night fun, Papeete is the party hub of the region, and if you’re looking for a quality night out on the town, you are most likely to find it there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb