Tuesday April 25th


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
April 25th 2006
Published: May 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday April 25th

Bula from Fiji!

Our plans got changed a little today. We were supposed to have a day of R&R, as we’ve been busy for the last few days. Jason’s back is feeling a lot better now. It still looks like lizard skin, but most of the pain is gone now.

Since Kirk got certified as an open water diver here we decided to do a family dive, with the 4 of us diving, and Wes snorkeling above us. Anyhow, our dive day was supposed to be Wednesday, but it got changed to today. Qio picked us up at 9, and since Wes has been bugging us for the last few days to dive I asked him if he could do an introductory dive. Of course Qio says, which is great, PADI has bubbles course, for kids aged 5 to 8, where they get the whole setup, bcd, reg, tank, etc and they get to dive to a maximum of 2 meters. Cool stuff! We sign Wes up, and he gets the full treatment, instruction from the dive master, etc. Anyhow we have the boat to our selves, and we go to a site that we choose, sometime suited to us. I forget the site name, but it was really nice. It has a maximum depth of 80 feet, and very little current. Kirk and Jason are off, getting down to 75 feet, while Paulina and I are around 45 feet. Wes and Eunice are snorkeling overhead. It’s really cool looking up and seeing him 75 feet away, just hovering above. He was following our trail of bubbles! The dive lasts about 30 mins, with us seeing a whole lot of coral, and very colourful fish. We hop back into the boat, and head to the local beach for lunch. This is where Wes will have his first lesson. He puts on his bcd and straps on his mask and does a back entry into the water. Really cool to see the little guy do this. After a brief lesson standing in chin deep water they’re off, cruising at a maximum depth of 6 feet (Wesley wants to go deeper Qio says) Wes has the time of his life doing this. I’m sure we’ll be hearing about this for the next couple of weeks, as he will want to come back and do it again! After lunch we’re out on the water again. I forget this site’s name, but it was a drift dive off Qamea Island. We must have drifted a mile or so, as this site was fairly shallow, 40 feet maximum, which allowed us a very long dive time, probably 45 minutes or so underwater. It was nice, Jason and I were together on this dive, and we just kind of floated along, enjoying the view. Towards the end of the dive Paulina was feeling a little sick, so she headed up, and Wes got to dive again. Happy as a clam I say. He really had the time of his life! We got some really nice pics of everyone today. Jason got stung on the face by a jellyfish. It was very small and almost invisible. Anyhow, the dives over, and we’ve all had a great time diving in Fiji. It really is an awesome place to dive.

We head back to the dive shop, and before heading out we invite the entire crew to a lovo at our house tomorrow. Maureen is doing us a big farewell dinner / party with a underground bbq (lovo) it should be a lot of fun! After the dive we came back to the house, and what do ya know 3 new kayaks showed up, well, us not being afraid of the water we unpack them and are off to see the sunset on the water. Kirk manages to fall off the kayak, but gets back on. We’re out there for about an hour, and head in for dinner. Maureen is making us dinner tonight, and I’m sure as before it’ll be good. Tonight it’s Marlin, and it’s great! After dinner the kids were playing with Maureen’s nieces. They played tag for an hour before coming in and watching some DVD’s. The house sits on 3 acres, with probably 800 feet ocean frontage, so there are lots of places for the kids to run!

Tomorrow Jason and I are off to honeymoon island to do some snorkeling, Maureen and the kids are off to the waterslide again. It’s our final day here so I’m sure it’ll be a memorable one!

More tomorrow!

Lee




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb