Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
December 9th 2009
Published: December 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We landed at Fiji airport and were greeted by about a million Fijians all wanting to help find us a place to stay. Unfortunately we hadn't looked into Fiji at all so had no idea where we were going nor did we realise that it actually is a really big place with a lot of islands!! So after about 2 hours in the airport we had decided on a hostel on the main island for one night then we'd just decide the next morning where we were heading next. We didn't get much sleep that night as it was the noisiest place in the world. We choose and island called Bounty Island. It was the island where celebrity love island was filmed in 2005, but it doesn't look quite like that any more, I don't think they have done any work on the place since then except for maybe a few new bamboo leaves!! There is only one resort on the island because its so small, you can walk round it in about 20 minutes. We had a beach front bungalow as part of our package deal and all meals included. It was really nice, the sea was crystal clear and the sun was nearly always out. We did a lot of snorkelling during the day. Steve found a really ugly fish with a snout and called me in to have a look, but after seeing that fish I looked up only to see a shark about a meter in front of me. In a bit of a panic I pointed to Steve to swim out and swam faster then ever!!! He didn't believe me that id seen one so we went and spoke to the dive crew and asked if there are sharks about and described it to them. Apparently id seen a black tip and as it was "just a baby" it was fine to carry on swimming! So forgetting the face that the mum and dad could be about we went looking for it again but instead found a few sea snakes, one of which must have smelt Steve's fear and was starting to swim up to him so once again we were out of there and not going back in!! At night the staff sang us there local songs with guitars and on a couple of nights did a fire show for us. Two of the lads doing the fire show were only 10. We stayed on this island for 4 nights, we wanted to stay longer but thought we should give another island ago, big mistake. We got the ferry over to Mana island, or party island. A lot of people had told us about it and it was supposed to be the place were all the backpackers went but being 'flash packers' it really wasn't our thing!. The island was a lot bigger and not half as well looked after. The staff at the hostel were really friendly but it didn't make up for the state they had us staying in. Anyway they put on a good show in the evening with lots of traditional dances and singing and a fire show, they even got Steve in the middle of a circle to show his moves (Mr bean style!!). We left there the next morning and went back to the main land (Nadi) where we stayed for our last 4 nights. We just chilled out on the hammock most of the day. Took a walk up the beach and I made a hat from coconut leaves. It had no top though because that was to difficult to make and I was loosing concentration! All in all Fiji was an amazing place and we absolutely loved it, just a holiday within a holiday and ten days of chill out.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb