Bula!


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

We have just arrived back on the mainland after a glorious 5 nights out on the Fijian islands. We opted to just stay on one resort for all those nights rather than travel around because we just wanted to completely relax for those days, unpack our things after Australia and before hitting South America. I have to say (I'm sure I have said this about many places before) Fiji was definately a massive highlight of our trip. You can't describe it as anything else but 'paradise', secluded beaches lined with palm trees and hammocks and crystal clear, calm waters! Anyone jealous?!

The resort that we picked was absolutely perfect for experiencing this, we stayed in a traditional 'bure' (a thatched hut made from palm leaves) which was quite literally a stones throw away from the beautiful private beach. The resort was quiet at this time of year and I'm guessing also because of the coup which meant that we literally had the beach to ourselves most days with other guests filling their days with other activites such as snorkelling, kayaking and 'home leisure' as the hosts itinerary for the day suggested...basically doing nothing! Despite doing nothing we got a real taste for the Fijian culture, the staff laid on daily activities such as spear throwing, coconut weaving, snorkelling out in the reef and fishing. They also laid on a traditional Fijian night with local cuisine and village dancers which was absolutely fantastic. We went to the village the next day and visited the church and the school, it was amazing how welcoming the Fijians can be, they literally made you feel like one of the family. One night we were invited to join in with a traditonal Kava ceremony (basically a narcotic drink which resembles muddy water), it was such a privilege to be allowed to join in so we had to try it!

Overall, a fantastic 6 days of 'home leisure'!

Love,

Kathy and Phil x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Sampling the local drink of kavaSampling the local drink of kava
Sampling the local drink of kava

As you can see it was delicious...especially for Rachel!


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0833s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb