Club Masa


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Nadi
August 9th 2005
Published: August 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Finally found a USB port. Check out the photos!

Back in Nadi at the Horizon Hotel. We stayed here last night b/c the Nadi Bay Res. was ful. This place is smaller and a bit rougher around the edges, but not too bad. We got a room w/ AC & ensuite bath for F$55, not bad. It even had a TV, watched a bit of N. Zealand vs. S. Africa in Rugby.

Breakfast was only toast and coffee, but we couldn't get even toast at the last resort, so it was good to get that back. For some reason they're always blasting Eurobeat music here, even by the pay phone. There's a funny indo-fijian dj morning show too, this we heard once before. They do of course 'wacky stuff', playing hip hop music and dance. Best part though is the birthday 'shout outs'.

...

Back now, going to bed. We made it! We're at Club Masa!

Only problem is, the place is basically shut down. That's not stopping us though! We're staying here anyway. We're the only guests!

It's a weird scene here. The place is probably 20-30 yrs old, and hasn't been well managed by the Amer. owner. It is kind of a sprawling place w/ a courtyard, large kitchen, patio, an empty dorm and 2 dbl. rooms. We're paying 50$F for the night w/ meals.

Cast of characters:

* Anil - Indo-Fijian guy currenly on a 3 year walk around Fiji. He's got Brian T. beat! He's a strange little guy who spent like 8 years (!) in prison, and now we're sharing the resort with him?!
* Cliff - night watchman. he's got a guitar and a great falsetto.
* Elsie - Fijian cook, all around hostess. Nice girl, helpful and friendly and not afraid to light up her homemade bong constructed from a Fiji water bottle before dinner.
* Joe - Fijian young guy, sleeps in a shack at the beach to be closer to the surf. I borrowed his board today, but never got in. It's in rough shape, it isn't even f'glass and has been bent in 2. Still, it's the longest thing around, so I grabbed it.
* Paul - Fijian young guy. Paul's either the local champ or the Fijian champ, it depends on who you ask.
* 'Blonde Girl' - staying here 4 mos.
Our Transportation from Club MasaOur Transportation from Club MasaOur Transportation from Club Masa

On the left, sand dunes. On the right, sugar can. Watch you step for the cow pies...
now, not sure what payment plans she's on, but she's w/ Paul I think.
* Claudia and Pravine (sp?) - 2 youngsters just entering the Peace Corps. They're based in Suva now doing training. His b'day is day after tomrrow, so we'll meet them out at some place in Suva called Traps.
* George - He's what passes for a manger at the Club. We had dinner w/ him and he told us tall tales. Something about Fijian women standing on a bluff overlooking the water calling the sea turtles out of the water with their singing?

Tomorrow AM I get up early to try the surf. Anil will accompany me. I'd prefer not to get in by myself. Today's waves were 'wild and woolly', lots of wind. Beach is enormous w/ huge sand dunes and the Sigatoka R. mouth nearby. Freshwater from river kills coral thus allowing waves to reach the beach, hence one of Fiji's only beach surf breaks.

Anil wants us to buy a hike w/ him, no thanks! This guy is weird! Still, I promised I'd post his mail, so here it is: prakashadventures@hotmail.com. He's walked around the main island here in 17 days, and hikes through the interior can take up to 15 days. He packs very lightly, then gathers/fishes other food along the way. he's got a wooden flute.

Advertisement



10th August 2005

wooden flute?
Can you please elaborate on the wooden flute. Is it a pan flute? I once toured with Zamfir (http://www.nndb.com/people/141/000025066/), who also constructed home made bongs.
10th August 2005

Welcome back.
google earth appears to be a few days behind.
10th August 2005

yeah
woo good story
21st September 2005

this place sounds like home lol. any tenting there? elaborate if you can and tell us of any other bargain stays...thnx ken and janet
29th April 2006

More Info Chong Kulukulu
When in Sigatoka ...go to the place where they rent boards and speak to Chong...3rd generation chinese and a big smoker...he has a homestay...much better deal than Club Masa...I stayed with Chong and Loma for 3 weeks and had a great time..3 meals a day and all the weed in the world. This is where all the local surfers live, Paul and Tommy...the main honcho is called Malcolm...big Fijian man but Chong essentially runs the place...watch out for a man called Dougie...he is the local dune rolling champ...best place you could go in Fiji....real living...Stay in Club masa if you please but they struggle with cooking since they are only young lads running the place...Chong and Loma and angels ....hay Loma is lunch ready....hey fiji Time chinny...go smoke a joint and get an appetite it'll be ready soon! the Life

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb