Sigatoka


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Coral Coast
May 7th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After being squashed on a very full bus for an hour and a half, we arrived in Sigatoka. This was a smallish very dusty town with little going for it, bar a couple of attractions nearby that we wanted to see before heading to Suva.

On our first day in Sigatoka we visited the very unimpressive Tavuni Hill Fort. There was little evidence that this place actually ever existed apart from a few stones marking specific places. From the info we had, we expected to be intimidated by the "head cutting stone", which was actually just a small rock that could have been placed there by anyone! It wasn't all bad though, as the view from the top of the hill was very pleasent.

We walked back from the Hill Fort to Sigatoka town, this 5km walk was really enjoyable, as we passed many small homes, equipped with pig enclousres and human shaped tree stumps. We also got a good view of the huge mansion that hangs over Sigatoka. Dom followed the locals along the railway track bridge, while Bex sensibly stuck to the bridge path!

The following day we visited the Sigatoka sand dunes. These had been downtrodden in our guide book, which sang praises about the Hill Fort, so we weren't expecting much. Luckliy our guidebook is rubbish and the sand dunes were amazing! A short walk through a rainforest area lead us to the huge dunes. We had some fun sliding down them and performing acrobatics - much to the delight of the locals!

After being hosed down by a local boy, we grabbed our bags from our hostel in Korotogo and caught the bus to Suva...


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



9th December 2010
Local boys selling fruit on the Queens Road to Suva

Sigatoka, my hometown
Fruit and vegetable - very delicious. Beautiful town - peaceful and quiet. Great restaurants and stores.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb