Sun, Sea, Sand and New Year


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
January 5th 2009
Published: January 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

RarotongaRarotongaRarotonga

Our bungalow is where the pen is pointing. The small islands are where Michelle swam to.
Happy New Year to everyone. We are sorry if anyone sent us a text, but the Cook Islands does not have ANY mobile coverage for modern mobiles.

At Auckland airport we bit the bullet and paid 100 pounds for a small Nikon camera. We decided that in the whole scheme of things 100 pounds was not a large amount and we should have better photos, even under water ones.

We came through customs in Rarotonga at 3.00 am Wednesday morning, strange, as we left Auckland Wednesday night!!! We were met by our taxi driver who put garlands of white hibiscus flowers around our necks. A 20 mins drive brought us to our bungalow at Muri Lagoon. We were amazed, a lovely bungalow with full kitchen, dining room, bathroom and bedroom, all relatively new. In it was a fridge freezer, iron, ironing board and - wow - a washing machine. If you are on holiday for 3 weeks a washing machine is maybe not important, but after you have been travelling 4 months, it is wonderful - better than a pint of Stella!

When we awoke next morning we found outside a lovely garden with a landscaped stream meandering through it. All for 34 pounds a night. The beach and lagoon is about 60 metres away with white sand - Michelle is in heaven. She was soon swimming around the lagoon which, of course, has no waves. It is warm, crystal clear, about 1 km out and 5 km wide and on average 1 metre deep. Without much effort she was soon on one of the islands waving.

New Year's Eve was spent at a beach bar, where we could watch the firework display set up on one of the islands. There was a large gathering of mainly Aussies and it was not long after midnight when the more drunken youngsters were swimming in the sea in various states of undress.

We decided and then went to hire a scooter for the next 3 weeks, but Terry came out with a 125cc Suziki motorbike.

There are marked differences between here and Fiji. Although slightly more expensive Rarotonga is more prosperous. No people living in makeshift huts, no beggars and no hassle. The whole island is cleaner, manicured gardens, shops, cars and roads in better condition. This is what many people's image of paradise is.

Advertisement



9th January 2009

great time
You look like your having a brilliant time.........we have had rain,snow,frost and very heavy winds tonight!!!! I bet you wish you were at home. Looking forward to seeing you both and having a get together so you can tell us all about it. love Fiona,Alan,Matt and Mickie x x
9th January 2009

Happy New Year
Thought the mobile might be out of coverage so decided to send the message here instead. Happy New Year! Thought you'd like to know that the show that John will be on starts next week on sky one at 5pm gmt. Its on every day but we are not sure yet which day he will be on - you may even be back. Enjoy the rest of your trip in the warmth - still freezing here!

Tot: 0.397s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb