Cook Islands - Lazy days


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
May 17th 2007
Published: May 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well i might struggle with this travel blog as i have not done a lot whilst on the Cook Islands, kind of lazed around quite a bit just soaking up the sun, going swimming/snorkelling looking at lovely ladies on the beach. The first 6 days were absolute pants it did nothing but rain, and when it rains in the Cook Islands there's not much to do apart sit around and read your book, pretty excited stuff! The sun finally did come out though and with the beach right on the doorstep i took full advantage of it, the snorkelling is pretty cool round there although the same thing happened again where a fish decide to take a dump right in front my mask the little bastard! there are also these stripey fish that are a bit like trigger fish which take great pleasure in biting you the little beeeeps! So basically spent most of my time just lazing around and doing what the Cook Islanders do which is not very much.

I went to one of the other islands called Aitutaki which is supposed to be in the top 50 places to see before you die, when we landed at the airport we got the whole flower round your neck treatment............. picture it me and Mark with a load of honeymooners and wearing flowers round our necks, we looked like a right pair of mincers!
If i thought Rarotonga was quiet then christ!!!, still the idea is to go there to chill and not to party it up, stayed in these bungalows called ginas lodge, not bad for what you get plus everything else on the island is really expensive its full of honey moons and er................me and Mark.....urgh! met another Englishman called Matt, he had been staying there for a week and when we turned up he said he had'nt talked to anyone in 3 days, nice! so he ended up chewing my ear off, he was alright though. Hired out some mopeds and went for a rip around the island on (i can get 70mpg on this hog!), going round the whole island took all of 20 mins so its pretty small. Decided to book up a day trip with Kia Oranna cruises and met captain Fantastic, what a legend! he was cool, he takes you out to the lagoon for some really good snorkelling, there are huge clams and i actually saw huge Moray eel, you also get taken around where they filmed shipwrecked and survivor. I actually walked on shark island thats my (fairly crap) claim to fame. Aitutaki is really nice, amazing beaches and a brilliant lagoon but there's just not enough to do on the rest of the island definitley only worth a day trip from Rarotonga.

When we got back to Rarotonga we stayed at Vara's up on the hillside met some pretty cool people up there, all really nice and had a good laugh with them going out drinking and having barbecue's aswell. Mark seems to attract all the dogs on the island for some reason and im not talking about some fat birds, it must be his musky smell! There are always a shit load of dogs on the beach and in the middle of the road which is great when your driving. Also i would just like to say thanks to Megan for making the last day more fun even if you did cheat at coconut bowling!

I cant really think of anything else for the Cook Islands, it was just a really nice break to chill out in the sun before we hit the US, so sorry if this travel blog is a bit poo but i'm trying to write it from memory as im in LA now and from what i can remember i did'nt do much!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb