Day 58 Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
November 25th 2014
Published: December 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We were up pretty early again! (what is this) As we needed to move the campervan to its location whilst we were away. Plus we needed to check out, get our free pancakes from the hostel and all that malarky. Once this was sorted and we gathered in Rainbow's hostel to meet everyone. Obvisouly we had stuck to the time they said but it was a hour or so after this that we were instructed to pack up our 4 by 4's. Our group of 7 seemed to do this pretty easy with no issues whereas other groups seemed to not work so well together. This is where the psychologist in me, wants to understand the group variation. Some groups seriously really struggled and took maybe triple the amount of time we did. Obviously we lucked out on the group we got put in.



After what felt like an eternity, everyone was ready in their 4 by 4 groups to follow the lead car with Jeff the guide in it. We had given Simon the honourable role of the first driver. Only one minor blip when we drove off the road at quite some speed as the bonnet was flapping around. Then we made our way across on the short ferry to the island. From there on out it is sand driving. Simon did really well as when the sand is soft it is quite difficult to maintain. You have to hold your steering wheel pretty loosely and maintain speed or else the wheels can jam and go at 90 degrees to the sand and you get bogged. Plus you really have to rev your car in soft sand never really go above second gear.



After driving for a while on varying sand levels, we stopped off in a resort to make our lunch. The resort had a real road which was kind of weird after you have had a couple of hours without one. We had some wraps and bits and bobs. 'I managed to quickly jump into the swimming pool there (it was so hot this was pure luxury). Then we headed off, this was the point when Jeff the guide asked for technical drivers those wanting a bit more of a challenge.



Tom gave it a go first. This driving was hilarious. Em and I probably had the best seats because we were being thrown about all over the place. These were really soft sand in big deep ridges with huge bumps. I was pretty much laughing the whole time. The best part was when the car in front of you went over a bump so you knew you were going to fly up into the ceiling. Wouldn't be surprised if you got minor whiplash. It was hilarious. Nick also took a turn at the technical and continued on with the blaring music and bum lifting bumps.



The end result of this drive was the most beautiful lake I have ever seen. Plus I probably ever will see. It is the largest sand island in the world so the lake is surrounded by sand but the water is fresh water and it so so clear and blue. We spent a couple of hours playing around with a ball and swimming then we headed back in the car. Emily mainly stole Tom's camera and took a lot of photos. Mainly selfies, plus as many that could involve this guy with the most incredible moustache ever. I did not want to leave this place but at least we got to continue our mini roller coaster ride back through in which Max and Martin both drove through.



Then we came out onto smoother sand along the beach. Em took the wheel first. Driving along a beach just looked so cool. Whilst she was driving we went past some dingoes on the beach (screaming “DINGOOOOOOOOOO” of course) which pretty much look like foxes except blonde. They are far more ferocious nonetheless. After Emily's drive, I got to have my go driving along. It was awesome to drive along the beach at up to 80 kilometres an hour (this was the benefit at driving from the back, you get to have some space). It wasn't as hard as I thought, the trick really is to just not make sudden turns and follow the tracks of the car in front of you. With the instructor in front setting the route it was easy to follow. Was really amazing to do as the sun was going down.



We drove to our campsite and set up our tents. Again our group nailing this and being very organised. Had some showers and then cooked our dinners. The rest of the evening consisted of so many drinking games and far too much goon. New hilarious drinking game involving several actions in response to whatever card has been layed down, which I was awful at, mainly because my eyes were really dry.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb