Margaret River and surrounds


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
April 1st 2014
Published: April 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

So we have had a few days here now and have had a good look around. Passed through the beautifully willow treed town of Vasse on way to Busselton. Very pretty, house proud, beachside town. Busselton was very busy as it was Sunday. Had French pastries at the markets before walking onto the famous jetty. Longest timber piled jetty in Southern Hemisphere, with train to take you to the end where they have an underwater observatory. Unfortunately, it was too busy so we are going back today to try again. The drive out to Cape Naturaliste was very pretty with views to the bluest, rocky surf beaches, our first spotting of W. A.'s surf. Of course, there were wineries at every turn. Most have spent a fortune on there cellar doors and surrounding gardens. We stopped for Devonshire tea at the Cape Lavender teahouse (scones and lavender jam). Unfortunately they have moved since Mum and I were there so no more beautiful lavender gardens or pretty blue wrens. However the scones made up for that, almost. As we travelled south to Augusta we drove through the beautiful Boranup Karri Forest. We pulled in to Hamelin Bay where we heard there would be manta rays swimming in the shallows. We spent an hour or so watching the local fishermen catching salmon off the beach. There was a school of them about 50 or 60 meters out, just out of casting reach. However, they managed to catch a couple while we were there, while the manta rays swam around in front of them. A bit hard to spot them amongst the seaweed though. So we left them to it and carried on to Augusta (a great place to retire to) and out to Cape Leeuwin where there is a lighthouse and an old water wheel that used to bring the spring water to the lighthouse workers. We took a drive out to Prevelly Beach, Margaret River's famous surf beach, where they were busy setting up for the pro surf comp this weekend. Looks like they have put in new streets, parks and parking bays ready for the big weekend. We have had showers on and off for the last couple of days but today promises to be sunny.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



3rd April 2014

You can take the boy out of the farm but you can't take the farm out of the boy. Those cows looked real!

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb