Marvellous Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
January 8th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Melbourne WaterfrontMelbourne WaterfrontMelbourne Waterfront

Small pier near the Spirit of Tasmania ferry port.

Wednesday 5th January – From Hot Alice to Cool Melbourne


Waking up in a proper bed, with walls, shower, fridge, A/C... Then off to Melbourne to see the new arrival:

Andrea, Anna and Baby Olivia – How wonderful to see our good friends in Melbourne again and their beautiful 10 week old addition.
Parmarama – Dinner at the local pub (Hotel Albion) just down the road – chicken on the menu.
Portside Stroll – 10 minute wander and we were at the beautiful Melbourne waterside (check out the pic).



Thursday 6th January – Exploring the City


A quick run for the keener party (Simon stayed in bed) and then off to explore vibrant Melbourne:

Circular Tram – Melbourne’s free tram route for visitors, to see all the key sights – Victoria Parliament and Melbourne Gaol (think Ned Kelly) for us.
Brother Baba Budan – Perhaps the hippest coffee house we have ever visited (thanks for the tip Meei), but we missed twice even though we knew the address (no signs out front - you have to be “in the know”).
Melbourne Grand Prix – A quick (but not that quick) drive around the Melbourne Grand Prix
City Loop TramsCity Loop TramsCity Loop Trams

These fine old trams share the tracks with their more modern counterparts. In the evening you can book a table and eat dinner while travelling around the city sites.
circuit as we headed home from an enjoyable stroll and ice cream in buzzing St Kilda.



Friday 7th January – Steam Trains and Cuddly Things


An organised trip through the Dandenongs and the Yarra Valley to Healesville Sanctuary:

Elevensees – Aussie Style – Billy tea, Vegemite on crackers and Lamingtons (cake) en-route to the train ride.
Puffing Billy – A 30 minute ride on a fully restored steam train through the Aussie bush; legs dangling out from the carriages sides.
Furry Things at Healesville – Conservation in action, with roos, koalas, platypi and a hugely impressive wild bird display – those eagles claws were 3 inches from my head as it swooped majestically through the crowd…



Saturday 8th January – The Burbs


Quick run to start the day and then off to explore the uber-cool suburb of Fitzroy:

Mad Runners Return – A morning run along the waterfront – checked out the kite-surfing beach before a warm (30ish) jog home.
Brunswick Street – Achingly cool suburb of Melbourne, with artistic graffiti – enjoyed a leisurely brunch before browsing great local shops, while struggling not to buy up the entire contents.
Time
I'M ON THE TRAIN!!!I'M ON THE TRAIN!!!I'M ON THE TRAIN!!!

Simon misses the daily commute so much, he tries to recreate rush-hour on Puffing Billy in the Yarra Valley...
to Relax – Great to just watch TV and chat – Thai food, Rowan Atkinson, smiling baby and great company with friends – what could be better?


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Puffing BillyPuffing Billy
Puffing Billy

The famous steam train in all her glory!
Sleepy KoalaSleepy Koala
Sleepy Koala

Shy, retiring and sleeps 18-19 hours a day and then there's the Koala...
Hawks at HealesvilleHawks at Healesville
Hawks at Healesville

Part of the impressive bird show at Healesville Sanctuary, where animal conservation and ecological sustainability go hand in hand.
Tower in a MallTower in a Mall
Tower in a Mall

Melbournites know how to preserve a listed building and build a new shopping mall at the same time.
The Melbourne MassiveThe Melbourne Massive
The Melbourne Massive

Anna and Andrea join us for brunch on Brunswick Street in the bohemian suburb of Fitzroy.
Shopping with a DifferenceShopping with a Difference
Shopping with a Difference

Wasn't 100% sure what this shop was selling - didn't stop to find out...
Street ArtStreet Art
Street Art

Fitzroy streets adorned with some pretty spectacular artistry.


10th January 2011

Envy!!
Hi guys, Wonderful to have the updates on your travels, only life feels so dull round here!! I've just been doing laps of Richmond park again... Anyway, glad to see your having a fab time and hope it continues. Much love Jo
12th January 2011

Hope weather isn't getting to you!
Hi guys, Hearing all of the devastating news in Brisbane. Appreciate that you're a fair way away from there, but hope that the dreadful weather is not affecting you, and that it won't disrupt your trip. Love from both of us.

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb