Monday April 10th


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
April 10th 2006
Published: April 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Monday April 10th

Oi from Oz!

Nice relaxing day today in Cairns. Tomorrow we’re headed out to the Great Barrier Reef to do some snorkeling. Today we’re headed up to Port Douglas to see what that towns like. Just after Jason and I got up, we’re eating some toast we spot this huge bat. He lands in this tree right in front of us. We get out of the van, and go up. It’s a flying fox. It’s huge! Must be at least 3 feet across, and he’s looking at us, making sure we’re not going to do anything to him. It’s drizzling a little so we go back to the van and watch. Sure enough he leaves in a few minutes and we see him fly away. He’s huge!

We all get ready and head out. The drive to Port Douglas is about an hour, and we drive the bus up there, and look for a parking spot on the main drag. It’s not easy parking this bus Jason says. I believe him. It’s stinking hot here, and we walk up and down the main street, stopping in the shops to buy a couple of souvenirs. We have lunch at a Mexican restaurant here, and Jason doesn’t eat much, as he’s still feeling under the weather. We leave town a couple of hours later, and head further up the coast to Mossman’s gorge. This is a fairly big river that you can swim in. We drive the bus up this windy narrow road, not designed for this tank. We park the beast, and walk up the path to the gorge. Sure enough, the water looks inviting! Jason, Wes and Kirk head back to get suited up, and we’re back, enjoying the nice cool water. We spend about 30 minutes swimming there before heading back. We head back to cairns, stopping at an opal mine and seeing all their wares, lots of nice stuff, I have a new respect for opals. Did ya know 95 % of the worlds opals come from Australia? For dinner that night we have the sizzler, as the kids love it. After dinner they enjoy going to the world’s biggest bouncing pillow. It’s located on our campsite, a short walk away. We get an early sleep, as tomorrow is gonna be a busy day diving on the GBR.

More tomorrow!

Lee



Advertisement



Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb