Crossing the Nullarbor


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
March 6th 2008
Published: December 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tried to get up nice and early this morning, but that turned into just after 9 am! soon after balladonia was the beginning of the straight....90 miles...or about 146km i think, of straight road...the longest in the world. very exciting. steve was lucky enought to drive the whole thing. at the roadhouse just after the straight (caiguna) we were basically offered jobs, but i wanted to at least get outa wa and then see what happened. so we continued pretty steadily ova the nullarbor, keeping an eye on our temperature, as skip was still continuing to get a little hot. our stop that nite was at border village, just after the border...we crossed into SA!! lots of photos were taken, and i kept saying that steve and i were in opposite states...we relaxed that night (altho i stressed out and quickly called home to console mum...poor swayze! ), and had a very early night....early start in the morning.

And it was! except we then took too long getting ready so we took off around 9am. finally saw water again! took beautiful photos of the bight, although we couldnt get to the head of the bight cos it was shut (sooo shouldnt have said sorry...now they've closed off their tourist spots! ) we then hit the actual nullarbor plain. we thought that we had been basically driving it, but just before nullarbor roadhouse the treeless plain actually starts.

we arrived in ceduna late afternoon, with the intention of if we liked it we would stay and work for a bit, but a few 'blowflies' (as the locals call them) tainted our view of the town. We still stayed there for a coupla nights. found out (and steve remembered) that everything shuts at midday on a saturday in a country town. plus its a long weekend here this weekend, cos of adelaide cup. was a very relaxing weekend...although i never got my oysters in the Oyster capital of Australia!





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb