Exmouth - Finally Arrived


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
May 21st 2008
Published: May 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Early Monday morning we were happy to be departing Fremantle. We were slightly hungover after indulging a little too much at the Irish pub  1st stop…a meat pie hehe
As passing through Perth we had to stop at the Casino to have a look. There are no pokies at all in WA so we spent $20 playing the strange machines they have instead…games like crazy balls and poker. No luck there so moving on for the 1st of the bigger drives to come.
Throughout the day’s travels we came across some rocks…widely known as the Pinnacles. Not sure what we were expecting but we weren’t all that impressed. They were worth a look but not spectacular in our opinion. You can make your own mind up from our fabulous photography.
We stayed in Geraldton Monday night after arriving just as it was getting dark-very much a working town.
We got on the road very early Tuesday morning as were excited to get to our next destination-Denham/Monkey Mia. We arrived late afternoon so had some daylight to enjoy. On the way into Denham there are some fantastic sights one of them being Shell Beach. It has the CALMEST waters and no sand just tiny see shells every where. We even went for a dip there and enjoyed a late lunch and afternoon brewsky  We also stopped at some things called ‘the Stromatolites’…about as impressive as the Pinnacles hehehe No, they were interesting. The oldest and largest living fossils in the world apparently (3.5 billion years old) They aren’t very big but pretty to look at when walking the boardwalk and peering into the sparkling water. On arrival here we could not believe the amount of butterflies! They were every where. Much nicer to have flying around than flies. Upon inspection of the front of our van we couldn’t help but giggle at the fact we had collected what appeared to be half the butterfly population in the front grill…poor fellas but couldn’t be helped at 110kph on the hwy.
In Denham itself we set up camp and then wandered the beach (which was basically the doorstep to our camp) and collected plenty of pretty shells. We had heard a rumour the local jetty was a good place the catch squid at dusk so went down there to check it out. It proved to be worth while as we saw a turtle flapping around and I caught enough squid for an entrée! It was quite the task getting them clean in the dark I tell ya!
Wednesday morning up early again and straight to Monkey Mia. We arrived with absolutely perfect timing. As stepping onto the beach the dolphins were just arriving ready for feeding time. They were amazing! Very cool to have them swimming by your feet. We both got a chance to feed them a fish too  Plenty of pictures of this which we will add as soon as possible.

Just arrived in Exmouth, planned to stay at Coral Bay which is the beginning of the Ningaloo Reef but made good time so decided to go the whole way and stay here for two nights, Goody had enough of driving after doing about 2000km in the past 4 days.

Will try and go on a quad bike tour and a cruise of some suit tomorrow so fingers crossed we get to see these dugongs, turtles, whale sharks, etc they rave about.

Stay tuned… :o)

PS. Goody is into day 5 of growing his half assed beard and petrol is up to $1.80 per litre.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb