On to the next adventure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
October 27th 2007
Published: November 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our last view of AsiaOur last view of AsiaOur last view of Asia

Really sad to leave
Day 215 (26.10.07)

Today was our last in Asia and having spent 7 months (to the day) there we were leaving this region with a lot of sadness and a bit of trepidation as to how we would like going back to easy travelling and a country where not only everyone speaks English (albeit with a funny accent) but everything is written in English as well. We have always felt that arriving in Australia would be the next chapter of our trip and it certainly felt like the end of part one as we prepared to leave.

Packed up and out of the hostel before anyone else had chance to wake up, we hopped on the MTR to the airport. After checking in we stopped off for a free foot massage before hitting Subway for breakfast in an attempt to kick start our getting back into the western way of things!

On the plane, which had unfortunately been delayed by an hour, we settled in for a couple of films and a documentary to learn a bit more about Australia from our 'Entertainment on Demand' system - very exciting !

As we came in to land the weather, to our horror, was terrible. Not only was it really cold and cloudy, but it was also throwing down intermittent downpours - this is supposed to be Summer arriving in OZ! Safely through customs and the very strict quarantine checks (no food/wood products etc. can be brought in without declaring it) we were reassured that the weather was to clear up and continue to get warmer over the next few days. The bus driver on the shuttle bus gave us a pretty good heads up of the city before dropping us at our chosen and reserved bed for the night - Underground backpackers.

In SE Asia it's cheaper and easier to eat out therefore hostels/hotels etc. don't have kitchens and we haven't cooked for months. In Australia its cheaper to cook for yourself so hostels have kitchen facilities. We were looking forward to doing a bit of cooking and went out to buy some food for dinner. After a good meal we spent a quiet evening meeting some of our dorm mates (the massive increase in accommodation rates from SE Asia means double rooms will be few and far between we think!) and had an early night. Why is travelling so tiring when you sit down all day?



Advertisement



Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 42; qc: 158; dbt: 0.2347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb