Fraser Island - Day 40 & 41


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
April 16th 2007
Published: April 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Indian Head LookoutIndian Head LookoutIndian Head Lookout

One of the most beautiful views we have ever seen! The water is so clear we could see sharks, reys and turtles swimming below! Wow!
We arrived in Hervey Bay at 6:50am after a long night sleeping on a bus. We got there just in time to get picked up for our 2 day-1 night sand adventure on Fraser Island. Fraser Island is the largest sand island in the world - 110 miles long by 15 miles wide - and was listed as a World Heritage site in 1992. We took a ferry over to Fraser Island where we boarded 4x4 unimog tour bus named "bandycoot". There are no paved roads on Fraser Island - only sand tracks. A lot of people get stuck, but Bandycoot was a beast! We tossed about for 2 days straight! Our first stop on the island was in the rainforest which is located in the center of the island. We got a lecture on all the deadly snakes and how agressive some of them are - so we were not very exctied to be out of the bus. Yikes! The rest of the day was spent at Lake Wabby. Although you can't swim in the ocean off of Fraser Island due to shark infestation, there are many fresh water lakes on the island. Water seeps through the sand and filters to spots on the island where the water can gather. Lake Wabby was beautiful - nestled between forest and a huge area where sand had blown in from the ocean - sand dune like. Our night on Fraser Island was spent in a permanet tent, actually really nice with a queen size bed and fluffy pillows. It sure beat sleeping on a bus! We got an early start the next day and headed to Indian Head. It was honestly one of the most beautiful places we have ever seen. The ocean is so clear we could see sharks, reys and turtles swimming below. Next we were off to the Champagne Pools - they are pools on the edge of the ocean, the waves splash over creating a fizz like champagne. They were beautiful! We loved Fraser Island!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Our Tour Bus Our Tour Bus
Our Tour Bus

Fraser Island is entirely sand with no paved roads. Our tour bus had some major 4 wheel drive!


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb