Cairns and the East Coast


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
January 31st 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Right from Sydney we made our way up to Cairns, via a cheap internal flight, which was actually on time which makes a nice change. We arrived in Cairns at about 10 at night and immediatly was hit by humidity and heat, my god it was hot! Ideal weather for a nice cold beer in the hostel when we arrived!! The hostel was pretty amazing compared to every other place, it was en suite, air conditioned and had a swimming pool, it was called gilligans so anyone heading to cairns in the future stay there!

The first day was spent mincing around not doing alot apart from booking a couple day trips, and chilling out by the pool. That night however was a litle more interesting, it started with the standard game of poker and box of wine, then led to karaoke, and as you all know im not the best singer and neither are the other boys. I would like to say it went down well but i dont think aussies can appreciate real talent!!!! From karaoke me Sam and Birdy managed to find ourselves in a gay bar, prety sure a couple of local girls found it highly amusing as they led us in their! Actually had a prety funny night, a little weird however!! The next day me and sam went on a day trip around the tropical tablelands of cairns. It was a prety cool trip traveling around various waterfalls and lakes where alot of swimming was done. We saw some sort of weird cathedral fig tree, crater lakes national park, milla milla waterfall which was prety amazing with some pretty strange looking fish swimming around and some sort of weird volcanic crater. It was a really good day despite the hangover! Lots of cheesy music was played on the way back to Cairns which once again aloud me to show of my singing talents, ha ha!!! The next couple of days were once again just spent chilling out by the pool and not doing much. Next on the agenda was a day trip going north of Cairns along the coast to Cape Tribulation via the Daintree river. This involved a couple of rainforest treks, a boat going along the Daintree river where we saw snakes in trees and a crocidile just chilling out on the side of the river. Then it was up to Cape tribulation after a pretty awesome bbq for lunch. Cape Trib is a pretty beautiful beach despite the fact the sun wasn't out, it was very over cast however! On the way up the tour guide pointed out many of the little islands along the coast including low island, which is where Steve Irwin died!

The next night out we had in Cairns was also a little strange but highly amusing. After winning yet more money in a Casino (20 Dollars, wo ho) we headed out to a place called bar rhino where it was free drinks for an hour, happy times. However after this their was a dance competition and somehow i found my self in it/being forced into it and getting to the final, god knows how, think the boys cheering loud may of helped. Then basically in the final i striped down to my boxes, minced around looking lost hearing dave telling me to strip and to get the square step out and ended up winning 50 dollars......... Ive always known i could dance!!!!! On our final night in Cairns we went to Tjapukai aboriginal cultural park where we experianced a night of entertainment from the tribe icluding joining in the fire lighting rituals, dancing and singing. This was followed by a buffet meal which was amazing and a stage show from the aboriginals, doing various dances and explaining their culture, they even burst out into a cheesy pop type song, very amusing.

After a week in Cairns we moved down to Magnetic Island which is about a 5 hour bus trip and is an island just of a town called Townsville. This is a nice island and on one of the 3 days we were thier we rented out a car and did a couple of walks. One up to a lookout point called Hawkings point, and the second to the Forts which were used for world war two which also led to some awesome views. On the Fort trek we saw a couple of Koalas and were followed by many irritating horse flys! The beaches around the island were cool but you could only swim in areas which were netted up due to deadly jellyfish.

Ok after a short stay at Magnetic we moved further down the coast again to Airlie beach for a 3 day, two night sailing trip around the Whitsundays on Wings. The first night at Airlie we bumped into Ad Pettifer (Sven) for second time on our travels which was very random and had a beer with him, then two quiet days followed mainly due to the rain!!!!! These quiet days took us to our sailing trip, we were well prepared taking three boxes of wine/goon on the boat with us as well as some spare cloths. Once on the boat the usual meeting and greeting was done with us naming ourselves idiotic ian, sensible sam???????, dynamic dean???????, adventurous adam???????(book boy) and dangerous dave???????????????????????????????. Mine was definatly the only one which was accurate! So we were off and away and guess what the rain came along and followed us pretty much for the whole trip. After around two hours sailing we stoped the boat and got off and went to the beach on a random island, this was to do the basic diving skills for first timers. All the blokes ended up playing football and didnt get round to doing the skills due to bad light, was quite glad at that as we had already done them in Thailand. Once back on the boat, the goon was opened up and the drinking commenced, as did the rain!! We soon discovered we had landed ourselves in a pretty good group of 25 with everyone getting along well and enjoying themselves. The crew also cooked up a storm with Stu on the bbq and Aleesha making up some amazing salad, we were treated like royalty. The skipper on the boat, King Dave had strict rules on alcohol consumption past 12 so we all retired to bed at that time. The beds were tiny and poor old dave had to share with birdy and after about 5 minutes of lights out we heard the cry of birdy get off!! He was trying to mount Dave in his sleep, i do wonder about that boy sometimes! Day two on the boat and we were up for breakfast at 7 with a busy day lined up for us, some much needed coco pops, toast and tea were consumed. King Dave (skipper) took us to another island where whitehaven beach is located. This beach is the most beautiful in the world, i have my doubts we all know how nice weston super mare is!
We spent around two hours on the beach as the weather cleared up a little, where stu took pictures of us messing around in the sea and playing daft games, he also took video clips which are very funny. After some lunch we went to a different island to do some diving, me, sam and dave ended up going with a different crew member called adam, the dive was pretty dissapointing as the visability wasnt very good. It was also adams first time out with unqualified divers so he was a little too cautious! That night was similar to the first with good food, horrible drink (goon again) and good company. The next morning we awoke to a few difficulties as one of the engines had broke, this didnt stop king dave though and we headed to our next destination foe another dive. My second dive was with Stu and it was amazing seeing all sorts of cool fish and coral, he also took the camera down taking pictures and videos of me, sam, dave and a guy called spencer dancing and playing underwater drinking games! After the dive we headed back to Airlie with only one engine and arriving back an hour and a half late!

That night we all met up together including most of the crew for food and a pretty awesome night out together, almost everyone was there which was cool! The next day, infact the next few days we chilled out by Airlie lagoon as the weather was hot. On australia day we watched an aussie filmed called the castle and me and dave went out for a few drinks with a girl from the backpackers and the next thing we know we bumped into Sawyer, a friend from wotton, this led to the rest of the boys coming out and getting a little drunk as you can imagine.

Our last 3 days of around two weeks in Airlie we rented out a tv and dvd player because of terrential rain, how sad are we!

Any way people cheers for now, take care!!!






Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



1st February 2007

Rats!
Millsy! Sounds like you're having a cracking time mate! I always knew you would make it as a dancing queen, and there is definetely boy band potential there. Please don't send me any more pictures of birdy in a swimsuit though. See you soon boys!!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb