Brisbane to Grafton Via Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
December 27th 2006
Published: January 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Brisbane to Grafton via Byron Bay.

Left Brisbane in the pouring rain .I have seen more rain in the last month than in the previous 9mths in Tenerife .I am considering calling myself Phileas the “Rainmaker”
As it seems the rain is with me where ever I stop .The locals are now saying stay stay, stay for free .The rain is not the rain the country needs just inconvenient for me .the country is suffering the worst drought ever, it needs to rain very heavily continuously for 3 solid months for it to bring up the water table, speaking to an old chap the other day who is 80, he in his life time has never known a drought like it.

After some 2 hours driving hit Byron Bay Beautiful beaches and plenty of surf but B,Bay now a typical tourist spot plus that nightmare, Traffic jams heaving with people just like Las Americas in it’s hey day UGH!!So moved on further to Ballina just the same! Onward we go to Grafton, ended up a long drive, 6hours.

Grafton is a graceful old country town and lies on the banks of the mighty Clarence river ,I stayed in the Crown Hotel/Motel overlooking the River
During the 1870’s a local seed merchant Henry Volkes planted thousands of Jacaranda trees an ornamental native tree of Brazil. I love trees and to see all the streets which are very wide like all Aussie streets lined with these beautiful trees gives me a feel good factor

Grafton is noted for these and when in full bloom they have festival in October.


Went on another river cruise this a bit more expensive than the City Cats but it did include lunch and a commentary about the River and its history .
It is still being dredged for sand and gravel there are several Islands and one in particular is the home to 400,00 fruit bats .
Met some people from Sydney and they have invited me to stay with them when I get to there, which is handy as I understand driving in Sydney is a nightmare. After 2 days in Grafton decided to go south west to Tamworth and go over The Dividing Range of Mountains.

Phileas



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Hotel at GraftonHotel at Grafton
Hotel at Grafton

Right on the mighty River Clarence
Fruit Bats Fruit Bats
Fruit Bats

400,ooo of them on the island
sunken paddle steamersunken paddle steamer
sunken paddle steamer

went down some 100 years ago


Tot: 1.184s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb