10 day tour continued.....Coral Bay and Exmouth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 20th 2008
Published: May 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Whale Shark!!!Whale Shark!!!Whale Shark!!!

We are the 4th and 5th people in the pic from the left.
The whale shark was one of the best things i ever done. They are the biggest fish in the world and are absolutly huge(the biggest can grow to about 18 metres). They come almost every day to the reef to feed on plankton. We booked the trip with the worry that maybe they wouldnt even show up. You get another trip free if they dont but we wouldnt have been able to do it so we would have wasted 700 dollars between us.

So we first went out snorkelling while the spotter plane went up searching for our bounty. We just got back on the boat and they got a call saying a biggin was found and the boat raced off. The head diver came over to us to explain what will happen. I think he went on to increase everyones nervousness when he said to swim with them you have to first jump in front of them then get out of his way cos he wont be getting out of yours!!

There were a few boats around and each boat gets its time with the shark and they take turns. So when it was our turn the guide just start roaring at everyone to get in. It was hilarious cos everyone panicked and started jumping on top of eachother. There was bubbles and kickin everywhere and next of all it just appears in front of you and naturally you get your ass out of its way. It was amazing. I had a camera and got some shots and some of the other(good) photos are from the camerawoman who swam with us. It wasnt really that scary the main thing you needed to worry about(not much) was the small chance of tiger, hammerheads and great whites being about!!

After the shark got away from us we would jump back in our boat and wait til our turn and if the shark dived down the plane we be around loooking for another one. We got to see an 8 metre and 5 metre shark and got to swim with them 5 times. Such a good day!! Melissa got so into it she thought she was a fish and kept trying to breathe water!! Every time i looked up she was choking and nearly drowning!! It wasnt til about 2 hours into the trip we realised she was diving in with her face mask and never emptying it(duh!!!) and almost killing herself everytime!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb