day 54 20.9.2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Walpole
September 21st 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post


We forgot to mention that at this caravan park there is a doggy wash spa and for $8 you can wash the dog it also includes the soap and conditioner. Well we caught Bailey and Chloe doing the rain dance and of course Chloe Bear did an extra jig for good measure. Those who know her well, knows that as soon as the doggy towels and bath come out at home she does the runner.

So today we headed off to Cape naturalise where the shortest lighthouse in Australia is located. It stands at amazing height of 20 mts and is set about 200 mts back of the cliff edge due to the ground being unstable. The headland is 123 mts above the ocean.

The lighthouse was built in 1903 and opened April 1904. The structure itself was built with limestone blocks from a local quarry at Bunker Bay, all inside working and stairwell was imported from Birmingham. The lighthouse keeper would only work in 4 hr shifts but he ran everywhere.
The lens is magnified 800 times and the bulb in it now is a 1000 watter. It is an excellent place for whale watching. Back to the van for lunch via an olive farm that Marg wanted to go to yesterday s she bought some oil and bread for lunch.

After taking the dogs for a run we left them at the van and went to the Busselton jetty for a walk, it was raining, freezing and blowing a gale. It is 1860 mts long and is the longest jetty in the southern hemisphere. It was started to be built in 1865 and after all the additions to its length it took 95 yrs to complete. The jetty was original used to ship timber products. To move the product original they used horses then steam power.

After a century of operations it was decommissioned in 1992 where today it is a tourist attraction. After it closure it soon deteriorate so the state government handed it over to the local council for tourism. Today the jetty has over 400,000 visitors a year and costs $2.50 each to walk it. At the end is an underwater observatory which was closed today due to weather conditions.

Tomorrow we leave Busselton and go to Walpole.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.1mb