day 53 19.9.2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Busselton
September 20th 2008
Published: September 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We set off to do the drive around Margaret River and Augusta. The first stop was Yahava Koffee Works. When we parked the car there we walked over to the shop via a path beside a lagoon. In this large lagoon were 2 mechanical crocs that turned around where you walked along a path, 1 near the path and the other near the bridge in front of a water fall.

As well as the Yahava Koffee Works (coffee factory) there was a whisky and spirits bar/display room (no sampling). Marg sampled some coffee and found them a bit bitter for her liking, but bought a bottle of coffee herb flavoured syrup, which you just add milk to using small cups. She decided to buy herself some cups, the ones she chose were thick and the sale staff said that the were better as the heat is retained a lot longer.

After here we went to Margaret River Chocolate Factory where we acquired 4 small chocolates for $6. The chocolate was o/k but nothing to rave about; maybe we should have had the chocolate kid (Rebecca) with us. A bus load of pensioners turned up so we left. Next stop was 2 cheese factories where we acquired some port cheddar cheese and smokie cheddar cheese.

Next stop was at Cowaramup and had a look around the candy stop and the Cow Soap Lotion Potion shop but bought nothing. On the road again and went to the Colonial Brewery Co, they had about 5 beers on tap but the only one that Warwick liked was Witbiter which had no bitter after taste and was cloudy. It was a beer that you could drink all night and get drunk quickly.

Stopped at Margaret River for lunch, chicken and chips and that where our next stop was the Fudge Factory, which is in town. We thought that the fudge from Berrima was creamier and nicer, so bought nothing. It was now around 1.40pm and we decided to go onto Augusta which is about 45k’s away through Witchcliffe and Karridale. Augusta is a small village there is not much there except for a fair bit of accommodation, so we drove out to Cape Leeuwin lighthouse.

The views from the observation deck at the base of the lighthouse were spectular costs $5 each for entry. It was extremely windy and cold, blowing a gale. On a directional board we were 5400k’s from the South Pole, no wonder it was cold. Cape Leeuwin was named by Matthew Flinders on Dec 7th 1801. The lighthouse was opened on Dec 10th 1896. Cape Leeuwin was the first land sighted for many ships back in the 1800’s

This is the junction where 2 great oceans meet “the southern ocean” and “the Indian Ocean”, overall the day was fantastic and the drive was actually very relaxing and enjoyable. We thought on the way back to the van that we may have left the dogs too long in side about 5 ½ hrs but when we got there, there was no accidents but they where glad to see us. So we took them for a walk and within 5 mins it p*ssed down with rain but we let them have their run anyway.

Well the Margaret River region and surrounding areas are lovely and though well worth the visit we didn’t do any wineries as we ran out of time and we are not into wine anyway.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb