Rottnest Island


Advertisement
Published: April 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

With a lack of Wi-Fi at the hostel we decided to enjoy breakfast at the cafe next door to get Internet access to post some blogs!After a quick stop at the supermarket to stock up on a few provisions we headed to the ferry terminal for Rottenest Island. Once aboard the 19km journey only took 30 minutes; which was a relief given all the infomercials they played on the crossing to promote all the islands accommodation and restaurants!Based on the lack of availability of bike/ferry package tickets we caught the Bayseeker Bus around the island for a full lap to get our bearings and an understanding of where we wanted to spend time. Part way round the bus came to an abrupt holt as a snake tried commiting suicide and wriggling in front of the tire. As all animals on the island are protected our driver sacrificed our comfort for the life of the Serpent!Having completed a lap we decided to check out Little Salmon Bay where we were greeted by a couple of Quokka's! To clear up any confusion a Quokka is a small rat like kangaroo that is only found on this island, and the islands name is part attributed to them as it translates to rats nest in Dutch. After a couple of snaps of these friendly fur balls we had a walk along the beach admiring all the boats anchored in the bay.Next we walked round to Salmon Bay observing an Ospreys nest. Apparently they mate for life although it's the wrong time of year so we didn't see any more than the impressive nest today. With a significantly longer beach we enjoyed walking in the waves to the end and back with the unspoilt sand dunes and clear water.Having just missed the next bus we decided to walk the 'short' walk (Jo's words!) to the Wadjenup lighthouse. After about an hour and three buses passing us (Jo's decision again as the lighthouse was just round the corner apparently!) we were walking up the track to the lighthouse. On the shaded walk up Jo made friends with another friendly Quokka who had a fetish for her feet; must be because they're cheesy! The views from the lighthouse were pretty good but with a bus to the next bay to catch we walked back down the track past the friendly Quokka!After waiting at the bus stop for 30 minutes we were getting a little nervous, but after a quick call to the tourist office we were assured the 16:30 bus had just left the main station and would soon be with us. Once it had reached 17:00 we were getting concerned we'd be spending a night on the island. With staff from the tourist centre safely on there way home we decided to call the Island Ranger who informed us the last bus was at 15:30 and he'd had several other visitors given the same false information, although after 20 minutes he turned up in his ute to rescue us, returning is safely to the ferry terminal. Whilst we were queuing to board the ferry home we bumped into Terry our fellow traveller on the Nullabour crossing. With some picturesque views on the crossing home it passed by quickly, and we were soon back at the hostel cooking dinner with a cheap bottle of wine to wash it down with and ensure a sound nights sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb