A rocky challenge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Porongurup
February 11th 2015
Published: February 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The track to Castle RockThe track to Castle RockThe track to Castle Rock

This was the easy bit
I guess we all like a challenge, and part of our return journey included a physical challenge - climbing to the top of Castle Rock in the Porongurup National Park.



We had seen photos, and even a video which showed just how quick and easy the climb is. Marg had some doubts that I could do the climb after my back injury. I had some doubt that Marg could do it as well with shoulder damage etc.



We left Wagin quite early in the morning to get to Porongurup early before the day heated up too much - about a 2 hour drive.



We stopped at the Porongurup Caravan Park to book a site for the night and found that the National Park was opened today for the first time in a week after forestry staff from here were fighting fires further west. So, with clear sky, a site booked and a chat to a couple of caravaners in the park, we were off the few kilometres down the road to the forest entrance.



There were already a number of cars in the car park, and there is a good parking area for longer vehicles.



The walk is about 2.2ks each way, and the sign board says that sturdy footwear is required and that the climb is moderate. Some degree of fitness is definitely required, and we would rate the walk as moderate to hard, particularly the rock climbing sections after Balancing Rock.



Once past Balancing Rock, there are two more difficult sections to traverse, or should I say, burrow through. The track passes under cavities of other fallen (monster) rocks. While hand grips have been provided, and rocky steps exist, those who have short arms and legs struggle in these sections. As it happened, the couple we spoke to in the caravan park also decided to do the climb, and left us behind - well for a time. Later we found them having a rest and looking a little tired. Initially we thought they had been to the top and were returning - but no, they were still on the way up. From there, we stayed as a foursome, and this proved advantageous. At the 2.2k mark, the path divides left to the lower lookout, or through the rock stack and chasm to the vertical ladder to the top of the climb. Initially Marg and I plus Val took the easy left path. A few minutes later we could see Val's hubby up on the upper platform.



He came down and met us at the rocky stack, and helped Marg and Val up this awkward climb. With longer legs, I had little difficulty with the stretching, but my sneaker shoes really did not have great traction, so I had to think my way through the climb, and reach the top OK.



The view from the top goes right out to the coast and Albany, about 35 ks away to the south, and the Stirling Range to the North.



One thing we did in preparation for this climb was to buy shock absorbing walking sticks. I have no doubt that the success of our adventure was found in the use of these giving greater stability while twisting and winding our way through the various rocky sections of the track. They were of no assistance in climbing through the rocky stack. As we both have suspect knees, the walking sticks really protected our knees on the downward leg of the journey.



On the return journey we came across a lady experiencing some type of medical event event with distressed breathing. A person had already gone for help, so after a quick check, we gave the lady some Staminade (water, electrolites and sugars) to sip as it was likely heat stress and dehydration were the problem. We met the rescuers a little further down the track, and much later found that she had recovered sufficiently to walk down with assistance and we met up in the caravan park. It is unwise not to carry snacks and water, and we have found that Staminade is even better than just water.



The following morning, we drove to The Tree In A Rock before driving around the National Park on the scenic drive, linked up with a local metal road to where we could look back up to Castle Rock. The roads were in good condition for the most part, so no fillings were shaken from our teeth this time. It was certainly interesting to see the rocky face from below. We looked and wondered if knowing what we now know, would we attempt the climb. While we have not suffered anything too severe, our legs are a little reluctant to go walk about!



Naturally, in forest areas we don't have to look far for wild like photo opportunities. These are wild animals and birds, not just on display as you see in specialist parks and aviaries. We had photographed the black Carnabys Cockatoos at Yanchep, and this forest is another place where they are regularly seen. In fact this is one of their breeding areas. I was lucky to photograph a parent feeding a fledgling. These are shy birds, so the ultra zoom of the Canon SX60 was a real winner in getting the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

The chasm leading to the ladderThe chasm leading to the ladder
The chasm leading to the ladder

Neither of us photographed the track through the rocky stack tunnel. That was the hardest part so our cameras were in our back packs.


12th February 2015

Some climb
That was some effort need to be reasonably fit to attempt that. Great shots of views rocks and birds
13th February 2015

Great views
Sometimes don't you think all the amazing things in the world are up a big hill. Sounds like a great trip and glad you found people to climb with. Very happy you were able to help our the distressed hiker.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb