100 years on


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
February 12th 2015
Published: February 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post




One hundred years have passed since this harbour,




So quiet today, but then primed for war;



Soldiers, Officers, horses and supplies,

Separated from all they knew of home,

Squashed into the ships of war time convoy,

Black smoke billowing, ready to set sail.

These men of conflict, known now as ANZACS,

Thirty thousand, sailed into the unknown.




Letters were sent back home from the trenches,




But alas, the flowing line of ink, paper,




Was replaced with the horror of blood, sand,




Long before mail ever reached Mum, home.




The agony of war! Hearts torn apart,




Men mangled beyond all recognition,




Some died but no one held their quivering hand,




Others gone, but no one knows where or when.




Come stand and reflect on war's cruel pathway,




So many died, but collectively won,




For our generation, and those to come,




The lucky land abounding in beauty,




Tranquil harbours, anchorage of peace, joy,




Shared by people from so many nations,




Proudly declaring Australia home.




Lest we forget.




Our return trip didn't originally include revisiting Albany. However, folks we met at Porongurup told us how impressed they had been with the new 100 year AZAC memorial overlooking the harbour at Albany.

While we are not great museum fans, we decided that we had time to add this rather important Memorial to our itinerary.

After paying our entry fee which covers both the ANZAC Memorial and a conducted tour of the old Forte on the site, we all were given talking pens to follow the commentary, plus a character card which can be scanned in several places where you can follow that person and their war service. My soldier was Major General Sir Joseph Talbot Hobbs. Allow 3 to 4 hours to take in the displays and reflect on the sacrifice of men whose hands we have never held nor voice heard, but whose memory is respectfully embraced. Some visitors will spend more time as did the couple that recommended we come to Albany.

The horror and cost of war is evident from the various graphics and the history of your soldier. Both mine and Marg's survived the war with service in the Middle East, but so many Aussie and Kiwi soldiers who embarked here at Albany served and died at Gallipoli. New Zealand contributed around 4000 horses which proved very effective in some war zones, but only 4 survived and returned to NZ.

It is sombre, and rightly so. Yet the pain is offset as we reflect that service in this and other wars has paved a stable foundation for life today.













Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



12th February 2015

Well done
It sounds like it was worth the trip to Albany. The last view of Australia a large number of the troops ever saw.
13th February 2015
IMG_0872

Albany
Glad you are appreciating the beauty and the history.
16th February 2015

Albany
Excellent portrayal of a very important site.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb