Rottnest island vacation


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
October 3rd 2007
Published: October 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dear friends and family, Monday 9 am OFF to ROTNEST ISLAND, a beach-laden island paradise about 11 miles off the coast from the big port, Fremantle, by ferry. A Dutchman discovered the isand a few hundred years ago and was not very good at biology! When he saw the delightful small (up to 18 in tall) marsupials hopping around the islamnd, he thought they were RATS...hence, the name. Should really be called QUAKKA ISLAND as it is the home for kangaroo (midget kind) of mammals which are very friendly, entertain the visitors and seem to deposit their poop only on the golf course. The island resembles Block, Nantucket islands at home...relatively flat with a few gently sloping hills, dunes, lovely beaches, gorgeous water with shades of blue-green . It is a coral island with many diverse trees and, because, there are no predators (other than man and a few osprey), the birds and small animal life enjoy freedom and someow keep things in balance re: population explosion. There are NO cars on the island...only a few busses which travel tourists to the end point which is about 11 ikm form the ferry landing. EVERYONE cycles....and we hired a tandem and went with David for a 16 km tour of the island....gorgeous...great seascapes, bird life...inclduing ospreys and their nests, quakas, lighthouses, reefs and beaches...like Bermuda in te summer. We saw whales (probably humpbacks) frolicking in the ocean enroute to their next stop Antarctic!
Lin arranged for us to stay at the Lodge which is comfortable, not overdone and semi rustic...The gitrls were happily fishing. Margaritas were VERY good as was the excellent fresh fish dinner....before which the girls went swimming in the Lodge pool and we basked in the sunshine....paradiso! Because David had to return for a business meeting in the morning, just Win and the four ladies had a delightful second day at Rottnest. Lyuba and I took an 0800 birdwalk with a local expert, saw many species and got oriented as to the amazing birds which fly from Greenland and Antarctic to Rottnest and beyond.
Maddy and Sarah turned out to be as big fishing fanatics as is Lyuba! Hence hours of fishing was a great experiece for all....particularly because everyone caught fish and enjoyed the scene. And then to the ferry and return to Freemantle amnd homre where David has prepared an elegant pasta-bacon....followed by the great success of Lyuba”s FIND (the little man who played different tunes on his piano depending on which aht you put on his head)....and soe card game and so to bed.....alas Lyuba is coming down with a cold....fortunaely she has three consultants on board, including herself!
We are back in Perth for more games and music as provided by the Teddy Bear whose hats decide on the melody (we picked it up at home... ). Tonight duck goes into the oven, and, provided that my runny nose and fever do not take over, I will surprize everyone with few of my favrite recipes: Duck al'Orange, rosemary potatoes, cauliflower, red cabbage, etc... More later,

Lyuba and Win


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Rottnest IslandRottnest Island
Rottnest Island

The real thing
Rottnest IslandRottnest Island
Rottnest Island

moments of joy and beauty
Rottnest IslandRottnest Island
Rottnest Island

moments of joy and beauty
Rottnest islandRottnest island
Rottnest island

Always ready for a game...


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb