Perth - Part 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
October 16th 2009
Published: November 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hostel - 1Hostel - 1Hostel - 1

Back at the Perth City YHA.
Friday we were up early for our last TransWa bus ride. We caught the bus around 8am, and tried to rest as well as we could during the 6-7 hour ride. Once back in Perth, we checked in to the hostel, and much to our surprise we were in the same room again. And even more, we still had the same roommates from two weeks earlier! It’s unusual for people to stay so long in one place, but one had been working and the other was looking for work, and wanted to stay in the city.

The next morning, we bought a 24 hour block of internet from the hostel. We’d already seen quite a bit of Perth, and I didn’t mind staying in for a day to try and catch up on some things we’d been neglecting while seeing the south west end of the country. Since 4 hours of pay-as-you-go browsing was the same as the 24 hour block, I made sure to make the most of it that morning.

During this time, Hill checked out more of the city. She came across this cool arcade which was like a medieval alley way. All the shops were
Hostel - 2Hostel - 2Hostel - 2

It was a nice building, renovated from a St John's Ambulance building.
basically regular stores, but on the outside they all kept within the same theme. Almost looked a bit like Diagon Alley (for all you Harry Potter fans out there). When she got back, we grabbed some free food at the YHA celebration going on outside the hostel. Turns out it was to celebrate the 100th anniversary of hostelling around the world. It supposedly started in Germany back in 1909, and as you can see, it is now certainly a worldwide thing!

That night we did laundry, and worked together on the blog. Between choosing the pictures, adding captions, writing the blog, and proof reading it all, it tends to get bounced around a bit between the two of us. Luckily with a good chunk of internet, we were able to catch up a bit. Hill was then off to bed, while I ended up staying awake the rest of the night. No sense wasting unlimited internet.

Sunday morning we woke up (I fell asleep for 7am), grabbed a couple of showers and were ready for our 2-day train trip to Adelaide (and South Australia)!

Kevin (and Hillary)


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hostel - 3Hostel - 3
Hostel - 3

Between each floor there was a common room. Cool layout.
Hostel - 4Hostel - 4
Hostel - 4

Great tv room! Just a shame we were always too busy to use it.
Hostel - 5Hostel - 5
Hostel - 5

The view from our room (the same room we had last time). Trains were a bit close and noisy unfortunately.
100 Years100 Years
100 Years

We were in Perth during the 100 year celebration of Hostelling International.
CelebrationCelebration
Celebration

Plenty of fun and music.
CityCity
City

We were only in the city a couple of days, but saw some new things, like this cool arcade.
City - 2City - 2
City - 2

Lots of cool oldish looking shops.
City - 3City - 3
City - 3

Uggs are a big thing here in Australia, and we see them everywhere!
CAT BusCAT Bus
CAT Bus

Perth, like many of the big cities in Australia, had (in some form) free public transportation. Pretty useful.
CAT Bus - 2CAT Bus - 2
CAT Bus - 2

We used the free buses to just loop around the city checking out some of the sights.


Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb