Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Perth City
Blogs from Perth City
Latest Blogs from Perth City
- October 20th 2013 Visit to King's Park in Perth
by Words: 32 Photos: 11
- October 7th 2013 And so it begins...
by Words: 79 Photos: 1
- August 8th 2013 The city from a distance.
by Words: 112 Photos: 2
- May 6th 2013 Perth-Darwin, 4000km de stop!
by Words: 2543 Photos: 21
- April 5th 2013 Erster Tag in Australien, erster Tag in Perth ...
by Words: 243 Photos: 1
- April 3rd 2013 Peth city
by Words: 1377 Photos: 51
- March 12th 2013 Perth
by Words: 221 Photos: 37
- March 1st 2013 Arriving in Australia – um, honey, I don't think we're in Southeast Asia anymore...
by Words: 1022 Photos: 17
- January 9th 2013 West Australia trip 2012-2013 (photos)
by Words: 57 Photos: 56
- December 20th 2012 Here we go again...
by Words: 214 Photos: 4
- December 12th 2012 Landing in the Land of Oz!!
by Words: 2625 Photos: 0
- July 13th 2012 Perth and Parents
by Words: 989 Photos: 0
- April 28th 2012 Groeten uit Perth
by Words: 603 Photos: 0
- April 16th 2012 2 weeks and Counting
by Words: 306 Photos: 0
- April 12th 2012 Kings Park
by Words: 155 Photos: 4
- April 11th 2012 Some more photo practice
by Words: 38 Photos: 7
- April 10th 2012 Australia
by Words: 32 Photos: 0
- April 9th 2012 5 - 9 April 2012
by Words: 328 Photos: 0
- April 7th 2012 Getting to know Perth
by Words: 671 Photos: 7
- April 7th 2012 7 April 2012 (photos)
by Words: 4 Photos: 3