We are finally in Aussie baby!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
August 19th 2007
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We touched down about 3ish, the flight went quick, maybe that was because i was asleep before we even took off, thats how nackered i was lol! Once awake we watched tv and films and had some food, i must say i dunno what peeps comlain about plane food for, i think its yummy-well my spicy spagetti was good nways! So once we touched down we had to go through Immigration, who knew it could be so scary! There was security all over the place watching you then when u went to the counter to get ur visa they asked you lots and lots of questions-where are you staying, why are you here, how long are you here for, why Australia, then they scrutinise your passport picture, the lady serving me was nice but by jow she was a scary woman too-she told me i have changed very much and gave me a look as if to say i aint letting you through, but to my releif she did. Once through there we then had to pick up our luggage, as we waited on it to come along the conveyor belt a sniffer dog came over and had a good old wiff of us, f course being the model citizens that we are we were clean and so it left us alone. You would think that would be the end of it but no you then had to go through yet another stage-your big bags had to be screened, it was fine for us though so only took a few minutes, once passed that we were free to leave the airport-woohoo!!!! We left the airport to find ourselves getting wet-yes it was raining, typical! Who would think you would need a brolly when u went to Aussie?!! We got a taxi to the backpackers we would be staying at called 'The Underground Backpackers', we no longer had Charlie, our best friend in the world-our Lonley Planet Guide as he was only for SouthEast Asia, this time we were armed with our new friend-The Rough Guide of Australia and some advice from my good mate Shona who had been a few years ago and suggested we stay there. Our taxt driver was lovely and chatted all the half hour way telling us about Perth and where we should go etc. once at underground we headed in to check in to a room and hopefully have a early night, even though it was our first in Aussie we could hardly keep our eyes open so thought a early night be best.
Lucky for us we were out in 'The party room' a 10 bed dorm full of total numptys (to be polite) who didnt care less about anyone else and loved to make lots and lots of noise-fab! We dumped our stuff and headed to a nearby pub for some pub grub, it was just like walking about at home and going to The Jimmy Watt pub, it was so like home it was untrue! We had some food then headed back to our room, we got in our jammies and heading to bed to listen to our ipods which would hopefully drown out some of the droaning noise that came from our fellow roomates. Luckily we got to sleep without too much bother although daft me did wake up at 10 and thought it was morning so got up and got my shower stuff organised only to realise that it was only 10 that same night-numpty i know!!!
The following couple of days in Perth ciry centre were ok, we got all organised-got our Aussie bank cards ordered, tax numbers ordered, flight dates changed, passports stamped with our holiday working visa's etc....we were now all organised for our time here. We went shopping down the main streets and you would have thought you were in Buchanan Street in Glasgow, it was scarily similar!!!! Nways, our room was starting to grow on us and we spoke to some of the peeps staying in our room, they were ok-few nicer than others. we were told our room was full of Party People, they werent party people from what i could see but apparteny we were lucky not to be staying through the weekend as thats when it really starts-thank god we werent then as i couldnt have put up with any more of them, although im only 21 and like to party they done my head in and showed no consideration for others, it wasnt so much the peeps in my room but the ones who wandered through it, i think most of the people who sat in it didnt even sleep in it!!! Nways, i sound like a complete moaner but i aint so i will stop rambling! We also went to The Harbour front which was absolutely gorgeous, all the buildings so tall and all lit up-its was picturesque, just like the postcards you see! It was a lovely night to walk down to it too, we couldnt believe how gorgeous it all was though! We left Perth 3 days later to head to Bunbury where we had organised a house share for 6 weeks with a guy called Rod who rented his house out to backpackers etc-we were really excited about going, his house sounded fab and we would hopefully be getting jobs there and volunteering at a Dolphin Conservation Centre there too!!!

We had booked to get the train to Bunbury, about a 2 hour journey which was great-we slept a little and had a laugh as usual. Once there Rod picked us up to take us to his house, he had said it was on a farm so we were quite excited to see it. It was a lovely farm cottage which he and his brother build 20 years ago, had wooden beams and looked very cottagy-so cute, he even had a algae fire!! he showed us to our rooms and all around the house, he also showed us outside, he had chickens/hens, 2 peacocks, 3 horses and 3 cats plus loads of kangaroo's came along at night to eat all the grass on the fields just outside the house. Unfortunately though the house was a lot further out than what we had expected, it was a 20 minute drive to the nearest town called Collie, a 45 minute drive to Bunbury and kinda in the middle of nowhere so there wasnt a lot to do, plus seeing as we had no transport and there didnt look to be any that went past the farm we were stuck, we couldnt get jobs and were too far out to tgravel to the Dolphin Conservation centre every day so we only stayed at Rods for a week instead of the expected 6 weeks. Our time there was great though, we totally chilled out, drove his Ute (car thing with trailer) when he wasnt using it to Collie a few times, also Bunbury centre and a place called Margaret River. We also got to clean the horses, pat them etc, go for a wander about the fields, watch films and daytime tv-something we hadnt done for months, it was a good week! Bunbury town centre was also very quiet, and didnt have a lot of jobs or accomodation either, neither did Margaret River which was a shame as was a lovely wee town. We had went to Margaret River the day of my birthday, i was now the old age of 22! We had got ourselves ready that day and drove the 80 minutes there, it was a gorgeous day and the drive was brilliant, i had really missed driving so was loving being back behind the wheel. Down there we wandered around the shops, the candy shop, we also went to the Info Centre where we were basically told the only work we would get there was in a Abattoir-eek!!!!! We also went to a fudge making store-so cool to see it getting made-before heading back up the road to have some birthday cake which Laura had bought me and put sparklers in it-so cute and looked fab, all sparkling away and some vino as we had bought a box at the shops the night before-woohoo!!! 😊 On the way home though we stopped by a vineyard to see how the wine was produced, because it was winter time there was no tours available at the one we stopped at but we got to try the wines they produced, 2 whites and 3 reds, the whites were lovely but the reds where eeky! I dont like red wine but im sure it was lovely to those who do! We also stopped by a brewery too but you had to pay to taste the beers they produced so we didnt bother-i know we are right cheapskates eh haha!!!
Anyway, after our week was up we had decided to head back to Perth, i was looking forward to leaving by that point as very bored. We got the train back up, whilst waiting on our train we had a bubble gum blowing contest-although there was no official winner i think Laura took the crown, her's was huge! We arrived in Perth on Thursday evening about back of 5.
We have now been in Perth city centre for about 4 days and i have love it! The night we got back we had decided to go out for some drinks as we had not had a proper night out in weeks now, and had not properly celebrated my birthday either, so we found a place to stay called 'Britannia on William' guesthouse and checked in to a 6 bed dorm which turned out to be a fab little room, we shared it with some other girls, all from japan and so lovely. the guesthouse was busy, filled with backpackers habing a good time and were all really nice and frindly-much better than at The underground! Our kitchen space and common room was also really nice-we really liked it! We got ready that night, finished off the vino from before and headed out, it was strange to have proper make-up on and look half decent-something we had not at Rods all week! We went to a pub called 'The Brass Monkey' (a really nice pub which remeinded me of My uncle Vincent because of the name) before finding a magic pub called 'Mustangs' and its the best pub ever, we went in-it didnt seem very busy but we got some drinks and took a seat. A couple of hours later a superb band called 'Circus' were playing and we were dancing and having a laugh with some people from New Zealand-what a night! It was so good and we both had a fab time and brill laugh-we would def be returning to Mustangs the next night! We ended our night by getting some Pizza from a local take-away, the guys in there were so nice and we had some good banter going until our pizza was ready-it turned out to be a fab one just as the guy had told us 'i made you a good one there girls' and by god he was right lol!
The following day (Saturday) we headed out to the shops to hand out of CV's to anyone who would take them (some places didnt take on travellers at all) whilst looking around a girl came up to us asking if we needed jobs-she must have see our desperation haha! She was a greenpeace campainer/recruiter and she asked us if we would like to fill out a application to be a campaigner too-we did and she txted us later that night to tell us we had been successful in getting a interview with them this Tuesday-so folks cross your fingers for me! We also went to a recruitment place who helped ravellers find jobs short term, the lovely girl who assisted us told us she could probably get us jobs together at Counrty pub-so again keep ur fingers crossed as she will tell us tomorrow if we can get them!!!!
Anyway, that night we decided to head out for another night out, we got ourselves dressed up and ready-we actually resembled something of our old selves when we looked nice for a night out at home instead of like a typical skanky backpacker! We had bought a bottle of voddie at the shops so we sat in for a couple of hours and made a dent in that before heading to....Mustangs!!!! Itb was heaving by time we got there, and yeat again another fab band was playing-they were amazing!!! The whole night we drank 'red daquiri's' which were amazing and the cheapest drinks in the place lol, we danced the whole night and had a brill laugh, we also met some great guys who we danced the night away and had a total laugh with, they were from Perth and had amazing Aussie accents! When Mustangs sadly closed at 3 we all sat about outside where one of the guys, Julian, done a superb Shrek impersonation-ma and Laura were in hysterics, we tried to get in to a club called Paramount but we didnt have 2 forms of ID which you need there so the guys suggested we all go to The casino, i had never been to one so was very excited! the 5 of us headed there by taxi, when we arrived i couldnt get over the size of it-it was huge!!! We all went in, none of us played but we all had a good laugh sitting about in it and the guys met up with some of their mates, one who called me 'William' and Laura 'Wallace' when he heard we were from Scotland lol! nways, we had a fabby night, about back of 5 we decided to head home, we left the boys at the taxi rank-iwe had spent a fab night with them, shame it was over! Me and laura headed back to our hostel vis the Pizza shop again, i know-we are terrible! Nways, we had a good laugh with the boys in there again, the guy gave us a large one for the price of a small-woohoo! We ate that back at the Gh then eventually headed to bed about half 6ish i think......what a night!! i loved Perth!!!!
It is now Sunday, last night we took it easy and just had a quiet one in the Gh, sitting watching tv etc. Tonite we will be out and about again though, and yeah we are heading back to mustangs-where else would be go haha!!! I will fill you in on that on my next blog but for now Cheerio!!!! xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb