Do we have to leave???


Advertisement
Published: May 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, we had already extended our weeks stay in Margaret River to an additional week, so not sure if we could get away with extending it another. Simon, whose house we were staying in might find it a bit funny when he comes back in a month to see us still sitting on the patio. Then again maybe not. Think he was kind of expecting it! But we decided we better head back to Melbourne and figure out our next steps... (not that we really have, guess we should all know by now, we don't do a whole lot of pre-planning...)

The weather finally started to get a bit better the last few days we were in Margs, and we continued to check out many of the side roads that veer off and lead to yet another unspoilt beach. Can't believe it, around every corner is another beautiful spot! We took a drive down to Augusta, and to Cape Leeuwin lighthouse which is situated at the most south westerly tip of Australia, standing at the point where the Indian and Southern Oceans meet. Another day, we headed a bit north of Margaret River and had a look at The Busselton Jetty which is the longest wooden jetty in the southern hemisphere, and stretches almost 2 km out to sea. The jetty is closed at the moment as they are repairing it with plans to reopen in June. It was originally damaged by a cyclone back in 1978, and then damaged again by a fire in 1999.

We left Margaret River a day earlier than our flight so we could check Perth out a bit and also catch up with a friend of Brett's who lives just south of Perth. We had a good bbq and catch up with him, and then the next day made our way to Freemantle, which is really cool old area of Perth with beautiful old colonial buildings, restaurants and bars, markets and home to Bon Scott's (from AC/DC) grave, where thousands of people flock each year. After Freemantle we made our way to some of the northern areas of Perth before it was time to take our rental car back and hop on a plane back to Melbourne. We were really wishing we had more time. Guess we got sidetracked by Margaret River, but we will be back to this side for sure. So much more to check out.

(There are 2 pages of photos so scroll down if you want to see them. And sorry about all the beach shots!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb