Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Margaret River
Blogs from Margaret River
Latest Blogs from Margaret River
- November 16th 2013 Margaret River
by Words: 16 Photos: 12
- October 17th 2013 Margaret River, Mammoth Caves, Hamelin Bay and Cowaramup
by Words: 493 Photos: 19
- September 11th 2013 Time to find the Beach!
by Words: 797 Photos: 15
- May 17th 2013 Conto’s Campground (Thursday 16th May – Friday 17th May)
by Words: 232 Photos: 12
- March 1st 2013 Après le désert, les plages sud du Western Australia
by Words: 1553 Photos: 77
- February 21st 2013 Kangaroos on the beach
by Words: 244 Photos: 2
- December 13th 2012 Perth - Margaret River
by Words: 94 Photos: 8
- November 5th 2012 Margaret River – Cows, Caves, Cabernet and Rain
by Words: 848 Photos: 17
- October 8th 2012 The Killer Snake!
by Words: 1316 Photos: 19
- August 15th 2012 Wednesday, August 15, 2012, Margaret River, Australia
by Words: 924 Photos: 15
- April 8th 2012 Another Day, Another Beach!
by Words: 2527 Photos: 68
- April 5th 2012 Day 9 Adelaide to Perth - Margaret River
by Words: 462 Photos: 7
- January 24th 2012 Margaret River: Like Cornwall, but just a little bit more...
by Words: 1142 Photos: 30
- January 23rd 2012 Around the wine district (Margaret River)
by Words: 614 Photos: 3
- January 17th 2012 Margaret River
by Words: 194 Photos: 7
- January 11th 2012 Gracetown (Margaret River) / Coogee, W.A.
by Words: 671 Photos: 61
- December 10th 2011 Margaret River Round Three
by Words: 1762 Photos: 15
- December 7th 2011 Leschenault Con. Park / Leeuwin-Naturaliste N.P. / Shannon N.P., W.A.
by Words: 920 Photos: 33
- November 30th 2011 Wine glorious wine
by Words: 719 Photos: 0
- November 29th 2011 When having your own car can be a right pain in the
by Words: 876 Photos: 0