day 62 28.9.2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalgoorlie
September 28th 2008
Published: September 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A real nice day today as we woke the sun was up and not a cloud in the sky. We decided to go out for the day and see Kalgoorlie. After breakfast and some washing we took the dogs for a run so we can leave them in the van.

So we set of to the tourist info centre and obtained some tourist attractions to go and see. Being a holiday weekend there is nothing open so that limits things again. First stop was the Little Boulder Sweet Shop where there is lollies from all over Australia as well as N.Z, U.K, and America, so after our sweet tooth was satisfied we moved on to The Super Pit which is about 330mts deep.

Next stop was the Mining Hall of Fame where we went down a mine shaft in a cage like in Beaconsfield’s and had a guide tour around; it was very interesting how they used to mine back in the early1900’s. There are 9 levels to the mine and we only toured the 1st level which is 36mts below ground, the rest of the levels are flooded or unsafe.

Next was the gold pouring demonstration and general chat about the mine operations from 1893 to it closed in 1952. There is a small mining village there which had a lot of history. There is a lot of old buildings in the middle of town, most of the pubs are on corner of cross streets and have big verandas around them. Its mid afternoon and we have to get some supplies for our trip across the Nullarbor tomorrow which we expect to take about 5 days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1019.7kb