Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Blogs from Kalgoorlie
Latest Blogs from Kalgoorlie
- August 26th 2012 Heading eastwards towards home
by Words: 479 Photos: 5
- March 26th 2012 27 Esperance 26 March 2012
by Words: 407 Photos: 7
- November 18th 2011 Kalgoorlie - Boulder
by Words: 2069 Photos: 48
- November 14th 2011 Kalgoorlie - Boulder
by Words: 431 Photos: 4
- July 13th 2011 Relaxing times in Kambalda
by Words: 267 Photos: 7
- July 7th 2011 to Kambalda!
by Words: 277 Photos: 0
- April 13th 2011 Still in Kalgoorlie
by Words: 243 Photos: 0
- April 12th 2011 So far from Home
by Words: 654 Photos: 0
- April 12th 2011 So far
by Words: 654 Photos: 0
- April 6th 2011 2011, Kalgoorlie-Boulder a bien changé… (partie 2)
by Words: 701 Photos: 17
- April 6th 2011 1893, on a trouvé de l’or ! (partie 1)
by Words: 1256 Photos: 19
- April 3rd 2011 Kalgoorlie
by Words: 338 Photos: 11
- February 22nd 2011 Esperance to Kalgoorlie
by Words: 587 Photos: 11
- February 15th 2011 It’s raining, it’s pouring, the Marketos family is soaking
by Words: 1827 Photos: 73
- December 28th 2010 Merry Aussie Christmas 2010
by Words: 803 Photos: 35
- September 19th 2010 Kambalda
by Words: 442 Photos: 28
- September 16th 2010 Welcome to the Outback!
by Words: 795 Photos: 7
- June 25th 2010 They call me Tater...
by Words: 182 Photos: 11
- June 24th 2010 Lasagna FTW!
by Words: 141 Photos: 15
- June 23rd 2010 Civilization!!!
by Words: 210 Photos: 10