He made it out........with bullet in his back


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fremantle
March 8th 2013
Published: April 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Perth to Fremantle return


I rose from my bed early Wednesday morning caught a bus into town connecting with the Fremantle train around 8 am, when we arrived at Freo we went for a vegetarian breakfast at Dome. Unfortunately for us none of the museums were open yet so we visited the Round House first before moving on to the excellent Shipwreck Museum near the Marina which featured the wreck of the Batavia and then the equally great Maritime Museum which featured the magnificent Australia 2 racing yacht.

Next we jumped on the free bus to the Fremantle gaol, the tour guide was both interesting and at times amusing unfortunately we had some whiny kids and a couple of released criminals who absurdly thought they were something special. This gaol was a tough place to be in its day, it is a shame that all gaols aren't more like it then the bastards might think twice about committing crimes.

Apparently AC/DC Bonn Scott was a prisoner here for a time and is buried in the town cemetery, later we visited his statue on the waterfront and took a few photographs.

Next we moved on to the Western Australian Army Museum which was also top notch they do museums very well in this state. It was interesting that WA sent troops to South Africa before federation, Ruth took a picture of me in front of the 105mm howitzer that I used to fire in my ARES days.

Our next stop was a chocolate shop and then the Little Creatures Brewery where we indulged in a few rounds of good beer before wandering into the wonderful Victorian streets of Fremantle, stopping at a lovely old pub for a cheap fish dinner before catching the train and bus home. If Perth is the cold heart of Western Australia then Fremantle is the soul, l would love to live there.

Our last day started overcast we tidied the van and packed up our gear, the GPS got us to the Apollo drop off yard where we left our vehicle before catching a taxi to the Crown Promenade where we spent our last day in the gym, pool and casino before having a great Asian meal before retiring later that night.

We enjoyed an early morning mac attack before climbing into a taxi for the short trip to the airport and our 8.10 am flight home. I have had a fantastic trip across two states totalling more than five thousand kilometres and loved just about every minute of it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The BataviaThe Batavia
The Batavia

Fremantle
The docksThe docks
The docks

Fremantle
Australia 2Australia 2
Australia 2

Fremantle


Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 25; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb