Derby to Broome


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
August 22nd 2009
Published: August 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Derby 11- 18th August




We arrived back in Derby late on Tuesday after farewelling Steve and Kerry at Bell Gorge. We went to let Lorrain and Brett know we were back and they invited us to join them for a roast meal. Roast pork and vegies. Yum!

Kerry and Steve arrived back in Derby on Wednesday afternoon. We had already checked with Loraine that it was ok for them to stay at the block which they did overnight before departing for Broome on Thursday.

The next couple of days were spent washing, cleaning and sorting out the Jeep. On Friday Judy went and helped Lorrain out in the Toy shop she owns. This involved setting up an Excel spreadsheet to work out some new prices for trampolines and making up some signs with prices for them.

Saturday, we went to the rodeo buying a day pass which meant we could go for a couple of hours in the morning and then later in the afternoon. The morning consisted of gymkhana events such as flag races which weren’t too exciting. In contrast, the afternoon was quite exciting with bucking broncos and bull riding.

Sunday morning Rags and Brett went crabbing in the dinghy and returned with a nice feed of mud crabs which we ate for lunch.

Monday, the washing had mounted up again so after doing this in the morning Judy once again joined Lorrain in the shop before coming back for a swim in their pool with Rags.

It was our turn to cook tonight and we made a large frypan full of savoury mince which seemed to be enjoyed by all. Once again, the evening was spent outside chatting and watching a large screen TV they have on their back wall. It’s been great getting to know Loraine and Brett as Judy hasn’t seen much of her since she was a teenager living in Perth. We both felt welcomed and hope to catch up with them again when they come to Perth.



Barred Creek - 18-19th August



Tuesday morning, after saying our farewells we left Derby and headed toward Barred Creek, about 30 kilometres north of Broome. Here we found we were the only campers in this delightful bush setting near the beach. Rags managed to bog the caravan again but we quickly dug it out after letting down the Jeep tyres and using low ratio.

We stayed at Barred creek for 2 nights, enjoying the peacefulness and the early morning dips on our own private beach. Rags lit a fire both nights and we christened our new Dutch Oven with some beer damper - yum! In the evenings we went for a stroll to the creek entrance where we could get phone reception. On the second night we heard from Mike Leishman that he wasn’t far away so made arrangements to meet him and his wife, Jan at Port Smith just out of Broome on Sunday. Also another friend, Trevor and his wife, Julie on LSL was due in Broome that day so we rang and arranged to meet him the next day at Cable Beach Caravan Park in Broome.

Cable Beach 20-23rd August



Thursday morning, Trevor rang and informed us that there were no vacancies at Cable Beach Caravan Park but being the optimists we headed there anyway!

Arriving there about 9.30am we were fortunate that some people had seen fit to vacate a spot for us. Trevor saw us coming in and came to greet us and we caught up with them for a cuppa once we were set up. The afternoon was spent wandering around the shopping centre buying a few items we needed. That night we watched the sun set over Cable Beach with Trevor and Julie whilst sipping wine and enjoying nibbles. Trevor and Judy both have the same camera so they each took their tripods and competed for the best photo award!

Friday morning began with a walk to the beach and an early morning swim. What a way to start the day. A lazy day ensued. Judy, having taken antihistamines for the sandfly bites which were starting to aggravate her, was a bit drowsy so a “nanny nap” was how we spent the afternoon.

In the evening we cooked a roast dinner in the electric frypan for Trevor and Julie and a game of UNO ensued. This was the first time we’d played it this trip but we weren’t the only ones playing UNO as the “longtermers” behind us were also playing UNO.

Saturday began early with a visit to the Broome Market. This is a huge market with stalls selling, art and craft, jewellery, fruit and vegetables and other foodstuffs. It was well worth the visit.

From the market we went to Town Beach where a Dragon boat Regatta was being held. This was a great laugh as the first race we saw had boats going the wrong way, and oars well out of time - very much the amateurs after some of the city races we’ve seen. One boat in a later race rammed another and everyone was tipped out and got soaking wet.

After a baconburger back at the van for lunch we felt a bit drowsy but this time instead of napping we went for a swim in the glorious pool at the caravan park. This woke us up and on the way back we called in on Trevor and Julie and decided to go to Matso’s, Broome’s boutique brewery, for a taste. We tried their ginger beer, mango beer, raspberry beer, a smoky ale and sow’s ear. The afternoon slipped away as we sat on the verandah overlooking Roebuck Bay.

Trevor had been reading one of Judy’s photo techniques book and announced that we had to try taking sunset shots again so by the time we arrived back at the park it was collect cameras and go!
We drove on to Cable Beach again and by the time Rags parked the car the sun was almost setting and the camels were upon us! Trev and Judy were battling to set up their cameras on tripods in time but Rags just rushed off down to the waters’ edge and starting shooting. Some great shots were taken but all agreed that the one you see in this blog of the camels on Cable Beach is the best. Rags wants me to write who took it but I know you can guess!

The three nights at CBCP had flown and Sunday morning we packed up and after picking up some last minute shopping we hit the road to Port Smith arriving in time for a late lunch. Our first impression of the caravan park is most favourable with large drive through shady sites. The ablution block, although transportable are some of the best we’ve seen with individual ensuite type rooms.

After shopping for a few essentials we took the opportunity to call our mothers. After Judy hung up the phone froze and when she tried to reset it all she could get was a white screen. (of death?) We should have done something about it then but we left with Judy trying various things on the way out - all to no avail!



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

OOOh, romance on Cable BeachOOOh, romance on Cable Beach
OOOh, romance on Cable Beach

Well if not romance, Trevor read a chapter on silhouettes so we all had to try one.


1st September 2009

Love the tawny frogmouth and the photos of the rodeo riders. Wish we'd seen the rodeo. Kerry.
4th September 2009

Rodeo
Yes, it would have been great if you could have stayed. Lorain was surpised that you had left so quickly - think she thought you would stay for the rodeo too. Thanks for the call last night.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb