Guess who's back in Town


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Australind
April 24th 2009
Published: April 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kahlia and JoshKahlia and JoshKahlia and Josh

Go to light the fire
DAY 168


It had rained quite a lot in the night, and with a broken nights sleep, we just lay in our sleeping backs, until the motivation of the day got to me.

I wandered over to the picnic bench and sparked the laptop up, we knew we had Internet access so I had the chance to check our e-mails and see how Kangaroojack was getting on.

We were delighted to have received a brilliant epic message from Lee and Marilyn Harris from Bathurst in New south Wales whom we shared a great part of our Tasmanian adventure with.

Lee told us that Kangaroojack had inspired them to do a blog, and they have started in on My travel blog, which is where Kangaroojack produces his, we checkout the internet link and it has the makings on a great blog, as they write so well.

Please check it out and send them messages, you honestly can’t appreciate just how great messages are, when you receive them on your blog site, people saying how much they enjoy what you write, or enjoy the pictures, or feel they are part of your journey, it is great!
Wood stashWood stashWood stash

The Ranger left us loads of wood rounds

Lee and Marilyn’s blog site is www.mytb.org/alibut-cheek, it doesn’t matter if you don’t know them directly just send them and nice message, and whilst your doing that send one to the Truman’s as they want nice messages also, their link is www.getjealous.com/Travelintrueys

So, with some e-mails done and blog work done Caroline and myself are sitting in a slightly damp morning that seems to want to warm up. We tried to put the kettle on but the gas has run out so its tea or hot washing up water until the gas bottle gets replaced. We have a glass of lemonade and eat some breakfast cereal.

Dave and Mirjam surface from their bed, the Landcruiser, we wonder what kind of night they have had sleeping in it as Dave is 6ft 5 (Just short of 2 meters). They slept well and lucky for them they did not hear the racket that Caroline and I were subjected to last night or should I say this morning.

We have decided that we will move from our site at Martins Tank, to another site which Caroline has highlighted, so its pack up and off we go.

Dave and Mirjam ask if we wouldn’t mind if they tagged along and came with us, which we said it would not be a problem, so we dry the tent with the leather and pack it up as usual.

Whilst the packing up process is going on the ranger drops by to collect the monies for us, we start talking about the wildlife and he tells asks us if we have seen the Kangaroo’s and the Possums, we tell him we have and go on to explain about the nightmare we had on Cradle Mountain with our Possum invaders. He goes on to say that the Possums are a bit over friendly here as they have become accustomed to people and a male Possum on site 3 will come and sit on your table and demand food with menaces if you don’t cough up, he also said that kangaroo’s have become human smart.

We pay our $13.00 dollars for the night and he tells us that it is Anzac day that we knew about on Saturday and most places will be full, as it is a long weekend. We had not realised it was going to be a long weekend so hope that our next site will not be full.

We head off toward the site Caroline has in mind, a site called belvidere which is camps 5 item 137 page 318 western Australia.

On down the highway, Mirjam and Dave following on behind, wel still haven’t filled up with Diesel but a have swapped over fuel tanks so that will last us until the next fuel station.

In to time at all we have found the site, we all park up, Andy and I set up our camp. Mirjam and Dave are sleeping in the truck again so they are not setting up their tent. After a spot of lunch we head in to Bunbury to get a few bits and pieces and more importantly get the gas bottle re charged.

We have had a text from the Truman family asking where we are, we respond with a phone call, they are not far from here, they ask us where we are staying and we tell them the site details, Jodie tells us that she has already seen this site and was heading towards it.

When we are in BCF (Boating Camping and Fishing) I
Possum InvaderPossum InvaderPossum Invader

We only turned our backs and the Possums were after the crisps
ask if they have got a toilet, no they hadn’t., it was heading for an emergency so we shot off to MacDonalds to use their loo and have a decent coffee. Whilst sitting there Caroline is doing a bit of blog and I am just day dreaming out of the window. I say to Caroline and tell her that I have just seen the Truman Family doing a U turn.

Andy shot off out of the door to see if he could catch them, they were filling up with Diesel. They said they would follow us back to the campsite, so Andy came back to tell me our slightly modified plans, at that moment Mirjam and Dave appear in the car park. I go out to find out if they are ready to come back, but they decide to get some groceries as they now have full cooking and fridge facilities after their mooch around BCF.

I make sure that they can remember where the site is and they said they would meet us there later.

It is great to hook up with the Trueys again, such a great family to spend some time with.

We
All around the camp fireAll around the camp fireAll around the camp fire

Dave Mirjam, the Trumans and me and Caroline around the camp fire
now have the Truman family following us back up Highway 1 and into the campsite. They park their caravan up in a nice little nook next to us and before long we have collected the wood from the stock left by the ranger, some paper and a little bit of kindling and then Josh and Kahlia lit the fire for our evening of warmth and entertainment.

We are sat around drinking tea there are a few cheese and biscuits on the go, including a tub of “Sweet Chilly Philly”, we see a Possum lurking around the site, looking very furtive. We are laughing and joking about our possum experience on Cradle Mountain, the ranger from our previous campsite told us that there is a possum that now sits on the table while people are eating and expects to be fed. Well we know from experience that is not a good idea.

Just as we were laughing, we heard “crunch”, we all turn round and look at the picnic table to find a lovely tubby Possum sat eating the crisps and once again, undeterred by the light from our torches he sat there and carried on munching, but as soon as Andy got the camera out of his pocket the Possum hastily made his exit or was it the fact that the bowl was now empty of crisps?

Mirjam and Dave now join us by the fire, they had pasta for dinner cooked on their new stove, they both look pretty pleased with themselves. The fire was roaring and it was cosy but I needed to get our dinner on the go.

I cooked up some chilli and rice, nice and easy for this evening. We sat and ate it by the fire. Ken and Jodie very kindly did the washing up for us as they already had some hot water for their own washing up.

Soon after we are all sitting back by the fire, our new Didgeridoo comes out for some practice and a bit of a laugh, Andy’s playing is coming along nicely. Ken takes the Didgeridoo and starts to make some good sounds; we all have a bash at it we have a very sporadic session of being able to make decent sounds or just amplified blowing, I guess all we really need for a jamming session is a set of bongo’s.
Jodie rumanJodie rumanJodie ruman

Jodie practicing on the Didgeridoo


While messing around with the didgeridoo Kahlia and Josh once again toast the marshmallows, briefly the marshmallows flame making them crispy on the outside and a very soft gooey centre.

It is a lovely evening considering the weather earlier looked very grey and had given us a couple of showers of rain, but time was ticking on and it was bedtime.

We all retire to our respective camps, unfortunately I can still hear music from a campsite near us, I have a splitting headache and all I can hear is the sound of heavy metal reverberating around my head, great another sleepless night listening to other people being noisy! No problem for Andy I can already hear him snoring!

Thankfully by midnight the sound of music had gone and I managed to get some sleep



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Ken TrumanKen Truman
Ken Truman

Blowing Rasberry


27th April 2009

Love the blog
Keep up the great blog. Hope it doesn't take away from your journey of a lifetime. The blog does take time, doesn't it. Checked out the other blogs you mentioned. At this point Les & Marilyn only have one entry. Hope they get more up so that I can follow their adventures too. The Trumans link that you put up is incorrect. Here is the correct one: http://www.getjealous.com/Travelintrueys ENJOY Gary
27th April 2009

Traveling didgeridoo
Great to see everyone enjoying the didgeridoo. That one looks like it would not be easy for travel. Is it light-weight? PVC?
28th April 2009

Didgerieedoo
Hi the Didge is light weight as it is PVC it was for Didgerieedoobreath in Freemantle as an indistructable travel alternative
28th April 2009

Thank You!
Thanks Gary for pointing out the error, I should go back and correct it. Regard Caroline

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb