Australia Revisited January 2011


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
January 30th 2011
Published: January 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post



Here we are again on our travels – a little sooner than expected. The birth of Mike and Sara’s daughter Tasmin in December has given us a good excuse to visit Australia again. Tasmin is now some 7 weeks old and is a real cutie. Jude has been on cuddling duty since we arrived on the 23 January and seems in her element. The Whitburn family mark 2 are all doing well despite the inevitable sleepless nights.

Our journey from Jo & Dave’s house in Beckenham started on Sunday 22 January with our flight leaving Heathrow at 12.30pm. We flew direct to Melbourne stopping briefly at Hong Kong for one and a half hours. With a flight time of some 22 odd hours we were pretty knackered by the time we arrived – however, the sight of Mike’s smiling face at the airport soon chirped us up. The long flight seemed to take it out of us pensioners and it has taken us several days to acclimatise to sleep patterns.

We have done very little in the 1st week apart from staying around Mike and Sara’s and getting to know Tamsin – lots of cuddles and pram pushings. Wednesday 27th was Australia day and Sara’s parents, Margaret and Paul and Brother Ben and his wife Miranda came over for a party/BBQ – great fun was had by one and all.

Sporting activities are as ever very prominent here in Melbourne although little mention has been made of the ‘Ashes’ can’t think why!! The Aussies are I know doing quite well in the one dayers – still fairly insignificant compared with the proper game !! The Australian Tennis Open is of course being held in Melbourne although any Australian interest in the contest disappeared in the 1st week. We watched our British boy get to the final last night on TV; however, if he fails to win on Sunday then he is of course only Scottish.

The weather has been pretty good here so far with thankfully no hint of the terrible floods that have hit Queensland getting anywhere near here. Temperatures seem to be on the rise with a high of 40 degrees expected tomorrow (Sunday) and continuing in the mid 30s next week. Whilst most of the locals will be sensible staying in their air conditioned houses us mad dogs will no doubt be on the beach in the mid-day sun. I here it’s been snowing back in England this weekend!!! Shame.

Whilst this will not be quite the world tour as last year we will be visiting Adelaide and the surrounding areas in a couple of weeks time for a week and also Singapore for 4 days on our way back in March – what a life eh..

Don’t expect quite the narrative of last year but we will be in touch again soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



30th January 2011

Great to see another blog from down under! Sounds like you're having a lovely time getting to know Tamsin. Enjoy the sunshine.....it's been pretty cold here although no snow. Give Tamsin a big kiss and cuddle from us. Lots of love Jo, Dave, Sam & Holly xxx
30th January 2011

what a beauty!!
Great photos chaps, although I to say that Tamsin steals the show - what a little darlin'! Glad you arrived safely and are both feeling better now. Give our love to all.xxx
30th January 2011

Hi Doesn't she look beautiful!! And what long legs! Enjoy all the cuddling and walks. Love to all Diane and Dave and the gang!
1st February 2011

Glad you are having a good time with Tamsin. She looks grear. Are those Mike's legs I see??? Enjoy yourselves love to Mike, Sara and Tamsin xxxxxx

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb