Day 3 Warby Ranges Tue 19th October


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
October 19th 2010
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Warby Ranges, Wenham Camp


Additional maps: Drive to Killawarra section & back to Wenham Camp

Musky Caladenia (?)Musky Caladenia (?)Musky Caladenia (?)

for the ground huggers
Up early again to go into the Warby Ranges to visit Sue and Neville who are staying at Wenhams Camp ground before we all meet at Chiltern, on Friday, for the HAMBOCA camp weekend. (Getting tired now after a long day and now writing up two entries. So this will be short and possible incompressible! But the photos are nice!)
The vegetation in the Warby Ranges is interesting (but suffering from die back a bit) gum trees include Red Stringybark, Hill Red Gum, Red Box (some beaut big ones!), and Long-leaf Box. These are found mostly in the southern section of the park, where Wenham’s Camp is located, there are also large (see pic) grasstrees, small wattles and other ground flora. The southern section has a bit of a weed problem similar to other State Parks (don’t get me started on Paterson Curse!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Got to Wenham’s Camp about 9ish and Sue soon had us on walk down to a waterfall and some open scrub where she got some very good pic’s of Turquoise Parrots. I saw some very nice Speckled Warblers warblerling, Grey Shrike-thrush and Rufous whistlers shouting at each other and others of the same species; it was a very musical morning.
A cuppa tea and early lunch at 11.45am saw us ready to take a drive to the north and The Forest Camp in the Killawarra section. I had read on Eremaea Birds in Victorian Latest Sightings page, the night before that Painted Honeyeaters had been seen in this area on the weekend. It was a beautiful drive through the park to reach this northern area and when we got there the change in vegetation was amazing. Dominated by the Box Iron-bark dark brown/black trunks and with a plethora of flowing ground cover below almost made up for ‘dipping’ on the Painted Honeyeater! We did see (more) Rufous Whistlers, Noisy Friarbirds, White-plumed Honeyeaters and White-wing Cough’s.
I must thank Neville for drive Sue and me around today and putting up with the driving directions. It is now time to tidy this cabin (wash dishes etc) and get ready to leave for Chiltern Tomorrow, but leave time before 10am for a little sleep in.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

GrasstreesGrasstrees
Grasstrees

Same of the tallest in the State, Grey Grass Trees
Mt BullerMt Buller
Mt Buller

from walk track into Glenrowan
Vic AlpsVic Alps
Vic Alps

from walk track into Glenrowan


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb